Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 9, autoplay bluetooth does not start playing the latest app

It is a very annoying issue and it has started to happen on after iOS 9 upgrade on iPhone 6.

When I switched from Samsung GS II to iPhone 6 I thought "what a great OS, it actually remembers the last app I was playing last time in the car and it starts to play it again instead of some stupid default music app." Here is why I like it, my bluetooth iphone is paired with my car and when I drive my car I would listen to book I have in my Audible app. This is very convenient.

Bummer! With new iOS upgrade the behavior of my iPhone completely changed. Instead of playing my latest book I was listening when driving to work, my iPhone starts to play music in my Music app. ***? My Music app was even open, while my Audible app was open. I had to unlock my screen and hit the "play" button in the Audible app. I tried it again the next time I am in my car, and the next, and the next. The stupid iPhone starts to autoplay the Music app instead of the latest app was playing in my car. Is Apple that desperate to push their music service onto users so it decided to change the behavior in the new iOS 9 so dramatically.

Hey, Apple! Are you aware of this issue??? There is no place I can change the default action for bluetooth autoplay. How is it possible that this feature worked very well and now it does not?? It is very obvious that I expect iPhone to start playing THE LATEST app I was using before leaving the car, isn't it? Apple geniuses...are you there?

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 5:36 PM

I was having this same problem as well. I switched "Show Apple Music" to Off in Settings > Music and it seems to be working now? I'm not really sure what that setting does but it seemed to work for me? This is super annoying though, hope it helps!

8 replies

Nov 21, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Motya Pupkin

This is a new issue that started with IOS 9.

Finally I found the IOS 9 configuration change that stop sApple Music from always playing when a Bluetooth connection is started. (i.e., just re-start the last iBook or Pandora application that was playing when Bluetooth session ended instead of Apple music app. The setting is convoluted. Need to go to Setting - General- Restrictions - & turn off (switch in the left side) Apple Music Connect. I think it's funny that this setting is under Restriction. Sounds like Apple wants Apple Music to be the default audio application.

Feb 10, 2016 12:39 PM in response to Motya Pupkin

I'm having this same problem. The Podcasts app plays every time I get in my car, and I then have to switch to iBooks every single time. I never listen to the Podcasts app, and it's not even running in the background, but when I get in my car, it starts playing anyway. Very frustrating.

I want it to just play whatever I was listening to last time I was in my car.

May 26, 2016 4:52 AM in response to Motya Pupkin

How the!? I CAN'T get my iPhone to autoplay when connected to a bluetooth device! When it connects it "suggests" the last app I used (most of the time) by bringing up the media keys on my home screen but I still have to hit play which involves taking it out of my pocket etc.

Does this feature depend on whether your car supports apple car play or something?

Sep 17, 2016 3:31 AM in response to shipesmash

Thanks! Apple connect was already off but I have turned off "Show Apple Music" and shall try it when I finish work. :-)

I wouldn't mind but when I was actually TRYING to get the music to play in the car, over the speakers, it wouldn't.

It just plays silently in the background of my phone, being annoying and having to be closed manually when I finally find a place to stop.

ios 9, autoplay bluetooth does not start playing the latest app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.