Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting these pop-up windows. I think it's adware, how do I get rid of it?

I downloaded the ftp app FileZilla off of the internet a couple of weeks ago because I needed it for work. After I installed it I read comments that it was bundled with adware and you should not install it. I read how to get rid of them, this website said to run diagnostics, find the names of the apps and delete them and then empty the trash. I did that, but I'm still getting these weird ads asking if I need more disk space and I'm worried. How can I get rid of them?User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 12:34 PM

9 replies

Sep 25, 2015 1:49 PM in response to bleu.cherries

Adware is installed without your knowledge, removing it will help.

1. Use free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac/ AdwareMedic to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Download, install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

or

Remove the adware manually by following the “HowTo” from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

2. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn all extensions off and relaunch Safari. Test.

Turn those on one by one and test.

3. Safari > Preferences > Search > Search Engine :

Select your preferred search engine.

4. Safari > Preferences > General > Homepage:

Set your Homepage.

Note: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac/ AdwareMedic is recommended by Apple support.

Sep 25, 2015 2:09 PM in response to bleu.cherries

First, never use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software on a Mac. That's how you create problems, not how you solve them.

You may have installed a fake "utility" called "Advanced Mac Cleaner." Like any software that purports to automatically "clean up" or "speed up" a Mac, it's a scam. To remove it, take the steps below. Some of the files listed may be absent. Back up all data before proceeding.

If you paid for the software with a credit card, consider reporting the charge to the bank as fraudulent.

Step 1

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.pcv.hlpramc.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. Log out or restart the computer.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 2

Move the following item to the Trash as in Step 1:

/Library/Application Support/amc

This time you may be prompted for your administrator login password. There's no need to log out after taking this step.

Step 3

Move this item to the Trash:

~/Library/AdvancedMacCleaner

Step 4

Open the Applications folder and move an item named "Advanced Mac Cleaner" (if it's present) to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

Oct 23, 2016 12:09 PM in response to bleu.cherries

User uploaded file

I have this same issue, I don't know where it came from.

I was trying to follow Linc Davis' instructions but I couldn't get past Step 1 because I couldn't Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

Please see the image attached. They weren't even an option for me. Can anyone suggest an alternative or what's going wrong.

Thanks!

I keep getting these pop-up windows. I think it's adware, how do I get rid of it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.