Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

distorted text field in messages app since ios9

Since updating to IOS 9, sometimes in the messages app, the text field where I write has this distorted dark grey bounding box overlaid with a 0:00 to the right. It reminds me of what you would get when doing an audio recording.

It seems the only way out is to force quit imessage. Is there any other alternatives? I thought maybe updating to IOS 9.0.1 would have fixed it, but now I've seen this graphic anomoly in both 9.0 and 9.0.1. Never saw it before in 8.4.1.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 3:52 PM

9 replies

Oct 8, 2015 3:32 PM in response to cypherx

A significant number of people are having that problem since iOS 9. One solution (at least a temporary one) is to quit Messages and then double-click the Home button to open the app switcher. In the app switcher find the Messages app and slide it up to remove it. Then close app switcher by clicking the Home button. That should solve the problem -- for a while at least. Another solution that is working for some is to go to Settings > Messages and toggle either the Show Subject Field or Character Count setting.

Oct 8, 2015 9:39 PM in response to FoxFifth

I found this "solution" a while ago but it (and all of the others suggested so far) does not solve the problem for long.

The fault clearly lies somewhere in IOS 9 and I am very surprised it has not yet been fixed. This is not rocket science for a company like Apple and it must be affecting a huge number of their customers. It would at least be useful for someone at Apple to inform this forum that the cause of the problem is being investigated and what the likely schedule will be for a solution.

distorted text field in messages app since ios9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.