Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many photos can you store on photos

Hi,

How many photos can you store in the Photos App?

I remember something about iPhoto being able to hold around 40,000 photos. What does Apples new Photos app store?

Thanks

TB

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 4:04 PM

There has been no max published for Photos that I've seen - I have 80,000 photos and videos in one library and 8,000 in another - unlike your undisclosed source stated iPhoto '09 & '11 was good for up to 1,000,000 photos - I wooud count on Photos being that or more - in any case more that you have disk storage for

Why do you ask?

LN

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2015 4:04 PM in response to toulbox

There has been no max published for Photos that I've seen - I have 80,000 photos and videos in one library and 8,000 in another - unlike your undisclosed source stated iPhoto '09 & '11 was good for up to 1,000,000 photos - I wooud count on Photos being that or more - in any case more that you have disk storage for

Why do you ask?

LN

Jan 3, 2016 10:01 AM in response to Crycresmedz

You can have just one library and have it operate efficiently. The key I've found is to click on an album with only one or two photos in it before closing down. When I next open the library only those few photos need to be rendered making the launch so much quicker. If you are in the All Photos or Photos window when you shut down all of those photos will have to be rendered when opening the library the next time. That can really slow down Photos.

Also keep a minimum of 20-25 GB of free space on your boot drive to facilitate space needed for temporary and swap files. This will go a long way in improving system and application efficiency.

Lastly, with El Capitan I recommend a minimum of 8 GB of memory. Running on just 4 GB is pushing somewhat the envelope for system and applications.

If you have a laptop then you will have some storage issues and it would be difficult to store and run the library from an external HD. It can be done with very small portable EHDs like this one: OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro

You might have to have your full library on an EHD and have a "traveling" library on your MBP with just the photos you currently need. The paid version of PowerPhotos can be used to copy photos or albums of photos between libraries while keeping the metadata, keywords, titles, faces and locations intact.

How many photos can you store on photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.