Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Gen 1 Scroll Wheel M8541 recognized by computer but not iTunes

Hi!

I recently found my old original iPod Gen 1 with the Scroll wheel. Was the first one ever that worked with Windows. Connects with Firewire.

It still has all my old songs on it, it charges and plays those songs.

However when I connect to my computer, the computer recognizes it and shows it (and pops up the directory window) but it won't connect with iTunes 12.3.0.44 64bit and it stays on the 'Do not Disconnect' screen.

I have tried resetting it using directions off Apple's site and it works (the apple logo shows up after holding Menu and Play for a few seconds and it seems ro reboot), but that doesn't help with connecting to iTunes.

Any ideas for what I can do to get it to connect? Thanks!

iPod classic, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 6:37 PM

3 replies

Sep 29, 2015 4:31 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your response!

It is possible they dropped FireWire with this newest iTunes version, however I recently found this video proving it works with 12.1 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKJsl02f2BU

My computer says my FireWire card is working properly (it is built into my Dell from ~6 years ago), however I really have no way of testing that as nothing else I own uses FW.

Using Avast free for my antivirus software with no firewall.

Is there any chance if I take it to an Apple Store they might be able to help?

iPod Gen 1 Scroll Wheel M8541 recognized by computer but not iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.