Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsupported format for photos library

I have copied my photos library to an external seagate hard drive. I have not deleted the library from my computer hard drive until I confirm I can open it from the external drive. When I hold down option and open Photos and navigate to the library on the external hard drive, I receive the following message - "The library “Photos Library 2” is stored on a drive that uses an unsupported disk format. To access this library, copy it to the internal drive on your Mac or to a drive that uses a supported format." What can I do? The hard drive as far as I can tell is working with my Mac. I am able to open other files from the drive.

Thanks!

Stephanie

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 6:24 PM

3 replies

Sep 25, 2015 7:06 PM in response to brandst

The Photos library can only be on a drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) and it must be connected with a direct fast wired connection like USB, FireWire or Thunderbolt and can not be used as a TimeMachine Backup - what format is your EHD? Right click on it in the finder and get info to see the format

If it is not the correct format (and it most likely is not) then you can not use it for your photos library unless you use disk utility to reformat it with the correct format - forrmating erases everything so so not do this unless you have everything safely backed up.

Otherwise you will need to use a different disk that is correctly formatted and connected

LN

Sep 25, 2015 8:32 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the quick and detailed response! I am using a direct fast wired connection. The format of my EHD is Windows NT Filesystem. When using disk utility to reformat, will I have options on what format to use? what should I select? Will I still be able to drag and drop files to this hard drive after I reformat? I was using it to store other types of documents such as iMovie library, MS Excel and MS Word files, etc.

Thank you so much!

Unsupported format for photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.