Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s hot & heats up quickly

I just bought a brand new iPhone 6S (128 GB, silver, T-Mobile), and I find that it gets very hot after just about 5-10 minutes of usage. Is anybody else having this sort of heat problem with their new iPhone 6s?

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 10:16 PM

10 replies

Oct 13, 2015 10:05 PM in response to paoomoreno

I was unable to fix this. I tried a "Restore Network Settings" which seemed to fix the problem for several hours, but then the problem came right back again. For me, my iPhone 6s only got hot when it was on the cellular network (T-Mobile USA), but never when it was on the Wi-Fi network. When does yours get hot, and which cellular network are you on? I ultimately returned my iPhone 6s... I'm back on my iPhone 5s right now, which never heats up.

Nov 30, 2015 9:51 PM in response to Scott Rose

I bought the 6s the day it launched at full retail from Apple Store. Afterwards, signed up for sprint prepay with lte 4g.

Up until this evening, I've never had any problems with it, I've been updating the software on their respective launch days. I'm currently running iOS 9.1. Earlier this evening I experienced a very hot phone with a very quick battery discharge and wasn't sure why. I planned on taking it to Apple Store tomorrow and I still may just to talk with them about options or figure out why this happened seemingly out of nowhere.

I wasn't sure what to do, so I did a general search and found a few things about resetting the factory settings(soft reset) or if that didn't work, to back up the phone and wipe everything and then sync your back up back to it. Now I'm here and saw this post. Well, I haven't done any of those...I just powered the phone off, waited about ten seconds and then powered it back on...not sure exactly what that did, but apparently it worked. But here's the weird thing, I power it off every night...so why some random late afternoon does my phone suddenly get hot and drain 50% battery in 30 mins or less?

I don't know the answer to that, but I thought I'd share my experienc. I intend to visit the Apple Store tomorrow anyway because I'm blessed by having one less than 5 miles away. I will speak with them, even though my phone is now cool and draining normally. If I receive any solid answers, I'll make sure to follow up with another post here. If I don't follow up, that means I didn't get any solid answers.

Thank You

Dec 11, 2015 6:39 AM in response to adil6s

I never did get a chance to go in. I called support indicating that I'd like to set up a Genious Bar appointment and the rep told me he may be able to help over the phone and avoid going in.

I followed his recommendation and it seemed to have fixed both my overheating and fast battery discharge issue. Below was his recommended fix:

step 1: back up the phone, either with iCloud or to your computer

step 2: go to setting>general>reset>erase all content and reset

step 3: restore your phone from the backup

This procedure solved my issue.

It seems as if what was causing the issue in the first place was the App Store running in the background. You can find what app or process is using your battery by following the steps below.

go to: settings>battery then scroll down until you see what's been using the battery. You can switch between the last 24 hour usage or last 7 days usage. Next to those options you can see a symbol that looks like an analog clock. If you click on that, it will show you how much time things have been being used both while on the screen and running in the background.

In my case, the App Store was running in the background for 8 hours. After the fix, it no longer runs in the background for more than a minute or two.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Dec 11, 2015 7:35 PM in response to Cjcoffman

My post above came several days after I performed the procedure, maybe a week...apparently the bug strikes again. I am now as I type and for the last 5 minutes, experiencing the overheatin/quick battery discharge again.

This time, when I look under battery in settings, there is and has not been anything running in the background for longer than it should.

I tried powering the phone off and on again to see if that would at least temporarily fix the issue with no success. I timed the discharge rate, I got approximately 1.22 minutes for 1% battery.

I'm going into the Apple Store tomorrow to try and get my phone replaced. I'll report back.

Mar 13, 2016 11:19 AM in response to Mrn0405

Bottom line, yes. I'm not sure exactly what was going on in the first place since they found nothing wrong. They hooked up a diagnosis thing to my phone. There were spikes in the battery usage. They thought everything looked normal. I pointed out a specific spike where I was not running anything. In that particular battery usage spike, all apps were closed and nothing was running in the background. At that point I turned my lock screen system off so that my backlight stayed on. I watched the battery percentage and I started a stopwatch. I was losing 1% battery every 1.1 minutes. I told this to the apple rep that was assisting me, and she thought it was odd. I told her I cannot have a phone that depletes the battery 100% in just over 100 minutes. She agreed and since i was still under warranty, she replaced the phone with no issue.

Now, with this new phone, I have not yet experienced a serious battery depletion. It does get hot sometimes when playing gpu intensive games but I wouldn't consider it 'overheating' since I never get a warning. There are safeguards integrated in the system so that you'll receive a warning and/or auto shut down if it gets dangerously hot.

Before I went in, I checked my battery usage in settings. There, it revealed to me that the App Store was running in the background for hours. I'm not sure why as I habitually close the window cards when I'm finished with them even though Apple says that's not necessary. I believe that's what was making my battery deplete very quickly.

Also before I went in, I called and was suggested to backup my phone and then proceed to do a full reset...I did this, and it solved my issue for a couple days. It should be known that I power my phone off every night. While experiencing this battery depletion, I would sometimes power the phone off and then power it back on and that would also temporarily fix the issue. But ultimately what I believe fixed the issue for good is a combination of two things...it could be one or the other and I don't know but, I replaced the phone and I deleted a game. Although I think it was the running App Store that was depleting the battery, there was a game I played that seemed to make the unit pretty hot. And although I never did receive a heat warning, it was still uncomfortable. That particular game was the Need for Speed app. I no longer play it and have not even attempted to download it since the phone replacement. And although I did enjoy the game, I don't think I'll pick it up again because of this experience. I hope maybe someone can chime in on this game because I would like to play it again.

Thats about all I can say on this subject and I hope it helps.

iPhone 6s hot & heats up quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.