Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 plus slow after ios9

My iPhone 6 Plus lags after ios 9 update also 9.0.1 did nothing? The app switcher is really laggy until I turn off transparency it gets smooth. The time it takes to open most apps is a little longer as well. Turning on the reduce transparency made it very fast but with terrible looking colors non transparent. I heard about the indexing but actually i have been on ios 9 since 16th of september. I wish apple do something about it cuz the phone seems too old that way and I hate sluggish usage.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 7:51 PM

6 replies

Oct 4, 2015 8:19 PM in response to Traktorforce

I notice that my 6plus hangs quite often, I can get to the main screen by pressing the Home button but apps will frequently get very slow and then hang, sometimes recovering, sometimes not and int he latter case, requiring the app to be killed. This on WiFi or LTE doesn't seem to matter. A complete power cycle doesn't seem to make any difference. Unlocking the screen with with the passcode or my fingerprint is frequently very slow, it can take 3-5 seconds of the screen to unlock sometimes.

Not happy, especially given the cost of my fully-loaded 6plus.

Oct 7, 2015 2:17 PM in response to Traktorforce

I'm having the same issues. Can't put a finger on it, which is the problem. I've even restored the phone to factory settings, then re-installed from backup. I'm running 9.0.2 on a 6+ and the issue persists.

The phone is just not as snappy as it was with iOS 8. Every touch has a micro-delay that makes the phone feel very sluggish. I now play a game in which I press something then lift my finger as fast as possible to see how far away from the phone I can get until the phone responds to my press. I can get about 2 feet above the phone before Apple Music launches or the Settings icon springs up.

I've disabled various background apps and processes, to no avail. I will say that apps that rely on the Photos are much faster; Instagram and Snapseed used to take forever, I'm guessing because of iCloud Photos access, but now they're much faster doing whatever it is they need to do to display/edit photos.

But the OS itself is very, very sluggish. I have taught myself to pace my button presses. For example, after unlocking the phone with Touch ID, I wait about 2-3 seconds when the home screen appears; touch anything sooner and the input is ignored. Yes, I'm faster than the phone.

Oct 14, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Traktorforce

You basically described everything I'm experiencing as well. iOS 9 killed the graphics performance of my 6plus, and reducing transparency ruins the beauty of iOS 9 and doesn't stop the problem completely. It still stutters like the phone is years old and the processor just can't handle it (which I know it can). I'll (reluctantly) try turning off Handoff.

Interestingly, games and resource-heavy apps still run just fine. It's only the built-in transitions, closing/opening apps, app switcher, things like that.

This was after the expectation that iOS 9 was a lot more efficient and better for battery-life, which actually got worse too. Seeing my phone struggle, it's not surprising. I don't doubt the new iOS is better, it works great on my regular 6, just an issue with the 6plus.

Nov 9, 2015 10:57 AM in response to qaisqm

I can't find the thread I posted in, but people have done what I did to fix mine and it fixed them too

"reset all settings" do it TWICE. After it reboots, once, do a reset all settings again! This fixed me, but I did both things shown above.

Also, in addtion, IN keyboard settings, I think in accessibility, change the lowercase keyboard to upper case, or vice versa. Whatever it's currently set on, CHANGE IT to lower or all caps. They key here is changing it to what is wasn't set on originally.

Iphone 6 plus slow after ios9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.