Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to downgrade to previous version of iOS

I have an iPhone 5 that has been pretty crippled since I installed iOS 9 about a week ago. I installed 9.0.1 but it did not fix my specific bugs (cellular data only works with MMS and nothing else, period).

My previous phone was an iPhone 4 running the last version of iOS 7 that could be put on a 4. That phone is still in my possession and has everything on it that it had when I moved my life over to the 5. The only difference between what's on that phone and what's on my new one is the new photos and texts from the last 25 days. Nothing major.

I have had this 5 for about a month. When I set it up it was running the stock version of 8 that came with it. I did a backup of my 4 and moved my data and such onto the 5 when I set it up.

Then within 2 - 3 weeks iOS 9 came out and I put that update on my phone and have had problems ever since.

I would like to revert back to the version of 8 that was on the phone when I set it up. I would also like to be able to restore my apps, contacts, etc to the phone.

My questions:

1) Since my 5 has synced with iTunes on my (Windows) laptop since having 9, can I pull my data from that backup if I restore my phone to factory settings? Or will that result in another update to 9 happening? I'd prefer to wait until the bugs are worked out before doing 9 again.

2) If that won't work, can I re-sync my old 4 with iTunes, restore the 5 which will result in 8.x.x being on it initially, and then put the data from my 4 onto my 5 again?

Or will my iCloud account be expecting my 5 to have things in a format that will only be friends with 9?

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 9:12 PM

You cannot downgrade. Apple does not support downgrading iOS.

In answers to your questions.

1. If you restore your phone to factory settings that will still install iOS 9.0.1, as that is the latest version of iOS that you can run on that device. Restoring to factory loads the latest iOS.

2. Doing anything with your iPhone 4 and then restoring the iPhone 5 will not result in iOS 8x being on it initially, since you do not put old iOS on a device. It just doesn't work that way. A restore from backup, or a restore as new will result in the newest iOS for the device being installed on the device. The iPhone 4 is iOS 7x, but the iPhone 5 is iOS 9.0.1.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2015 9:12 PM in response to momfor3

You cannot downgrade. Apple does not support downgrading iOS.

In answers to your questions.

1. If you restore your phone to factory settings that will still install iOS 9.0.1, as that is the latest version of iOS that you can run on that device. Restoring to factory loads the latest iOS.

2. Doing anything with your iPhone 4 and then restoring the iPhone 5 will not result in iOS 8x being on it initially, since you do not put old iOS on a device. It just doesn't work that way. A restore from backup, or a restore as new will result in the newest iOS for the device being installed on the device. The iPhone 4 is iOS 7x, but the iPhone 5 is iOS 9.0.1.

Sep 26, 2015 6:42 AM in response to momfor3

momfor3 wrote:

Must it be web-connected via wifi when I restore it? If not, would it then not 'know' 9 had ever happened?

All I know is that I can't get data at all at this point and my phone is essentially paralyzed. Can't get my mail, can't use Safari, can't check the weather app... it's absolutely ridiculously frustrating.

Yes, it needs to be connected to the internet to restore. This is for the Apple servers to verify the iOS. Any restore downloads and installs a clean iOS file. MMS and your other issues you describe here require data. MMS requires cellular data. Cellular data issues need to be addressed with your carrier. Make sure the carrier file on your phone is current, and if you are not using a supported carrier, you may need to find out what APN settings you need. Downgrading iOS is not going to fix those issues.

And the other poster that told you it was easy to downgrade; did you tell you that you have to find the file from a non-approved source, that Apple is no longer signing the approved ipsw and that forcing an install with a non-approved file is a hack and will void any post-warranty support from Apple. Even though you may not have any warranty left on the device, you still have the post-warranty support, which provides you to purchase an out of warranty device if your device fails at a reduced price from a new one, and you can still use Apple support. The hack voids all of that and you are on your own.

Sep 26, 2015 7:33 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Here are the nuts and bolts of my situation:

Had a 4 for 2+ years.

Bought a used - great condition - 5 in August.

Activated it August 30.

Had absolutely no problems with it at all (other than that I broke the screen - my fault - the first week I had it).

Put iOS 9 on it on Sept. 19.

Since then, my apps that require data to run, my safari, my email... none of those work. The only thing that does work is MMS. I contacted my carrier and they toggled data on and off on their end to see if that would help. It did not.

I popped the SIM in and out. That changed nothing.

I of course restarted the phone, tried things I read online like putting the phone in airplane mode for 30 seconds... you name it, I tried it.

Then I upgraded to 9.0.1 when it became available. It did not help either.

I got my screen repaired two days ago so it looks lovely. But unless I'm in wifi... no data other than MMS.

I've read many reports of people having data issues with 9 and 9.0.1, so I know I'm not alone.

Are there any proactive solutions I can try besides just waiting for a new fix to be released? And regarding the comments above about Apple support, warranties, buying a used one from Apple, etc... I guess I don't understand what benefits I am eligible for at this point since I purchased this used. If buying some sort of a warranty would allow me to purchase a used phone... that doesn't really benefit me. I can just go purchase a used one on my own. The MVNO I use is Verizon-based and they have a bring-your-own-device policy. I have been purchasing slightly used phones and using them with this MVNO for about ten years - for all of my family members, not just me. Three of us are iPhone users. One of my children upgraded her 5 to iOS 9 with absolutely no problems, but as for me... it has caused me major grief.

Sep 26, 2015 7:42 AM in response to momfor3

A couple of last questions - just because I always feel a little nervous when wiping a phone...

Let's say I back it up to iTunes and just do a fresh restore of 9 to see if that does anything.

My backup will save text messages and restore them to the phone - correct?

And does it matter if the SIM is in or out during the restore process?

Sep 26, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Edward Hargreaves

You missed this part:

Had absolutely no problems with it at all (other than that I broke the screen - my fault - the first week I had it).

It worked fine - the digitizer was not damaged - but the cracks were bad enough that it was very difficult to read text, thus the replacement. First time in all my years of having cell phones (15? 20 years?) that I'd ever broken a screen. Sad day.

Sep 26, 2015 8:02 AM in response to Edward Hargreaves

Edward Hargreaves wrote:

momfor3 wrote:

Bought a used - great condition - 5 in August.

I got my screen repaired two days ago so it looks lovely.

Why did you get your screen repaired if the phone was in great condition?

Edward Hargreaves,

Read the next line in momfor3's post:

"Had absolutely no problems with it at all (other than that I broke the screen - my fault - the first week I had it)."

Sep 26, 2015 8:05 AM in response to Edward Hargreaves

Did you have your screen replaced at an Apple Store or by a third-party? The cellular hardware may have been damaged during the repair. If an Apple Store performed the repair, you have a 90-day warranty and I would recommend returning to that store for further service. If a third-party performed the repair, you will not be able to have Apple provide any further hardware service because they don't use genuine Apple parts.

Sep 26, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Edward Hargreaves

No, did not have Apple do the repairs. I live in a rural area and Apple stores are few and far between.

The local business that repaired the screen did a great job and it has no problems now other than my data issue. And the data issues preceded the screen repair, so I feel certain there is no connection. The direct tie - time-wise - to my problems is the upgrade to 9. That's when my data reception for everything but MMS came to a screeching halt. I have to think if it was a hardware issue I wouldn't be able to even get data for MMS.

Sep 26, 2015 8:28 AM in response to momfor3

It is technically possible to restore the device to the previous version of the software if you still have the .ipsw file on your computer and while the Apple software update servers are still certifying that file. On a Mac, that .ipsw file is typically moved to the Trash folder after the new version downloads.

I hope your issue is software-related and not hardware-related. If you are able to restore to 8.4.1 and set up as new and the issues persist, then the phone definitely has a hardware problem.

Sep 26, 2015 8:37 AM in response to momfor3

Why is it, when I want help from Apple on their new update, I have to talk to my mobilphone operator.

This must be Apples problem, as it is Apples update!!!??

I still have problems with my phone even after installing IOS 9.01, my apps won't start up, and my phone

shuts down. I am really considering switching to Samsung.

How do I save all the data, contacts and so on, before downgrading to previous version??

Sep 26, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Edward Hargreaves

Thanks. I may resort to trying that. I don't have a Mac - I use iTunes with Windows.

I think I will try to do a restore with 9 and see if somehow that might help. Concerns about voiding anything really don't exist for me, but I am admittedly clueless enough about Apple products that I'm skittish about the idea of doing anything that might brick my device. Overall my choice to go with an MVNO for the low monthly costs has been a good one (five lines for about $75/month total, and we each have individual plans that fit our personal usage habits), but once in awhile I hit a wall and wish I had support. This is one of those times. 😕

Sep 26, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Philomina

Philomina, I agree. It's an Apple issue, not the carrier's fault, so I do wish Apple had a better pathway to assistance.

I appreciate iMessages. One of our children's colleges is an all-Mac campus so it made sense for her to have an iPhone that would shake hands with her Macbook and iPad, which she loves. When she left home, I got an iPhone knowing we could maintain phone plans with fewer texts by using iMessages over wifi (I initially didn't even have data enabled from our provider). Overall it has been great and I've been very happy with iPhones ... until 9.

Want to downgrade to previous version of iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.