Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VIRUS AND HACKING CODE 23017.

VIRUS AND HACKING CODE 23017 PHONE NUMBER 1800 649 546. HAS ANYONE RECEIVED A POP MESSAGE ABOUT SYSTEM ALERT AND **** VIRUS HAS INFECTED MY SYSTEM. I RECEIVED THIS AND I AM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT MY MACBOOK. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU? I DID NOT CALL THAT PHONE NUMBER?

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 2:44 AM

Any such popup message will be a scam. Do not interact with such messages.

Force quit Safari, then restart Safari while holding the Shift key.

11 replies

Oct 22, 2015 9:09 PM in response to zviscio

I just had this come up on my computer and of course I freaked out. Called the number and immediately knew it was a scam. A. The person on the other end answered "hello" and B. Their English was poor. I asked what company have I called and he made out I was confused- "Who did you call?"

I asked to speak to someone from Australia, he said "Mam, how can I help you?

Hung up and found this discussion board.

Thanks everyone.

Nov 19, 2015 2:19 PM in response to zviscio

Well, it happened to me and I did fall for it! (Where was my mind????!!!) I have a Mac Desktop. But because I also put the situation on Facebook, a computer friend alerted me.... so I got onto my bank and cancelled the credit card as the payment had not gone through. I changed logins, etc.

But I also have no personal details on the Mac either.

My friend sent me the link for the AVG anti-virus etc and I ran the program. It took hours and found 4 threats which I eliminated. All the EaseMyTech people have a web site and supposed Facebook/Twitter but have no working links to those 2 sites.

Yes, the scam is to get the 400 bucks out of you. No excuses on my part as they went to the Apple site etc... very clever.... hopefully this will be the end of it but I will be cautiously watching.

Nov 25, 2015 6:34 PM in response to alan1950

I also had this pop up and for some reason rang the number. It didn't connect and I just heard an American ladies voice saying the person I was ringing couldn't pick up. Does this mean I am safe from the hacking or should I still be concerned for the safely of my laptop? What should I do?

I am freaking out here so any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Nov 27, 2015 12:02 AM in response to stedman1

This is what I sent to the Australian Government Scam Watch site:

"Ease My Tech bring up a warning on my browser saying that Apple has detected a "**** virus" as shown in the attached screen image. The warning "freezes" any attempt to do anything on the computer. The number you are to ring (as shown on the attached file) is: 1800 649 546

This company passes itself as to mislead you to think it is Apple Corp. In fact it is a company that detects so called viruses and offers to clean your "Mac" and all devices for a charge.

The costs turn out to be A$398 with a supposed year's warranty.

It turns out that this also happens on PCs that carry Windows and it is a "Microsoft" warning. Indeed, there is discussion on the internet about the attached phone number.

Fortunately I was alerted to the scam and was able to cancel my Visa Card before any money was taken out. I have since received a new card and changed applicable security/passwords etc... I can no longer access Ease My Tech website on my Safari or Firefox browsers as a message states: "Forbidden. You don't have permission to access/on this server."

This makes it conclusive that it was a very clever, sophisticated scam where they ended up down loading an anti-virus program from what appears to be a legitimate business called Webfoot which is still accessible. They also have a Facebook page.

Therefore it would be in the world's public interest to stop these scammers from Ease My Tech. Alerting companies involved."

The site does not even exist now... until it resurfaces under a different name.... but I did record the original conversation with my Mac.....😉

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

VIRUS AND HACKING CODE 23017.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.