Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera problem since upgrading iPhone 5s to iOS 9

I've an iPhone 5s and since I've upgraded to iOS 9 (now I have 9.1) my cameras front and rear have stopped working and the screens appear all black, hard resets and all don't work. I did a restore yesterday morning and they started working again for 24 hours and in the passed 20 mins the cameras have stopped again.

Now I don't know if this is a software or hardware problem. If I go on snapchat it's all black but I can't take a photo.. Surely enough if this was a hardware problem I'd still be able to take a black photo, if I go into the camera on whatsapp the app crashes so this is making me believe it's software but I really don't know. Has anyone else experienced this and have any solutions?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 5:58 AM

I have encountered this problem on the iPhone 6s as well, and only after upgrading to 9.0.1.

Based on the symptoms and timing of failure, I agree with you that the issue is likely software related. Unfortunately, despite scouring the web yesterday, I found a lot of folks with the same, exact problem, but no solutions.

My conclusion is we need to:

a. Wait for a fix to be released in the next update (10/2 I heard).

OR

<Edited by Host>

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2015 5:58 AM in response to LaurenK91

I have encountered this problem on the iPhone 6s as well, and only after upgrading to 9.0.1.

Based on the symptoms and timing of failure, I agree with you that the issue is likely software related. Unfortunately, despite scouring the web yesterday, I found a lot of folks with the same, exact problem, but no solutions.

My conclusion is we need to:

a. Wait for a fix to be released in the next update (10/2 I heard).

OR

<Edited by Host>

Oct 9, 2015 5:27 AM in response to cmichaelpetrie

I have updated to 9.0.3 and still have problems with my camera app. Firstly, it takes forever to process an image to my albums after snapping the shot. I have an iPhone 6 Plus. It shouldn't take this long.

THe he other main thing that is frustrating is that it takes another monumental amount of time to email/text a pic that I just snapped. It just freezes. This did not happen prior to 9.0.

Oct 29, 2015 3:34 PM in response to LaurenK91

Hi there,

I have an iphone 5s and have experienced similar problems as yours. My cameras (front and back) show black screens when I open them, and i cant take a photo, black or otherwise. I have also noticed that my wifi connectivity is very touchy and it frequently jumps on and off the network I have here. I am in the process of a restore and I post results after that. But from your message this may not be the complete answer. Aside from that I dont know what to do apart from waiting - crossing fingers, toes etc for the a rapid update from Apple.......

iphone 5s iOS 9.1

Nov 7, 2015 6:49 AM in response to LaurenK91

I have upgraded iPhone 6 to 9.1

Both rear and front cameras show black screen.

Although, I found out, if I lock the screen, there is a camera button on the bottom-right corner of the screen that was not there before the upgrade.

I can touch the button and drag it up the screen that reveals the camera view and I could snap photos. When I unlock the screen and start camera application - it gets back to the same black screen. Weird, hah!

Apple, you have to fix that bug or we will charge you for renting working camera equipment until it is fixed 🙂

sadcom

Camera problem since upgrading iPhone 5s to iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.