Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic doesn't receive signal from my interface

Hello,

my interface (Fast Track Pro, M-Audio) is connected to my Macbook, and the interface is set as preference as Input and Output in the System Setting of my Mac. Logic recognize the interface, but when I create a new track it just doesn't receive any signal, as if there was no instrument connected to the Fast Track inputs.

Additional informations:

I'm using Logic Pro 10.0.5 and have a OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

I have no problem using the interface as an output, I can use my digital piano as a midi keyboard and I hear regular sound from the headphones connected to the Fast Track.

Running Garage Band and Logic Pro at the same time, Garage Band is able to receive and record sound, while Logic doesn't.

As I change audio preferences, selecting the bulit-in microphone as input interface, Logic works and record with no problem.

Thanks for any help or suggestion!

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 3:15 AM

8 replies

Sep 27, 2015 2:09 AM in response to g.sorbetti

To isolate the problem we need to check your signal flow. A few questions:

1) Are you monitoring your signal from the FastTrack (i.e. Hardware monitoring), or are you trying to Input Monitor the wet (software) sound through Logic?

2) Is the Logic Channel Strip record enabled? (Sorry, not trying to be insulting, I just want to be thorough)
3) Under Preferences->Audio->General->Software Monitoring, is that checked or unchecked?
4) If Software monitoring is ON, and the Correct Channel Strip is set to the correct input, and the Track is Record Enabled, is that track receiving signal and not outputting it, or is it showing no signal?

Once you let me know, then that will help us narrow down the problem.

Sep 26, 2015 10:39 AM in response to g.sorbetti

Learn to use Logic's preferences First! Not the computers system settings.

Read this first... make sure the Fast Track is selected as an Input and Output device, Logic often doesn't grab the right Input devices.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10/#lgcpbb81aca5

Then read about all of Logic's preference settings.

Next... you've created audio tracks to record the sound in Logic, make sure the audio tracks have the correct input channel set.

Sep 26, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Pancenter

Hello and thank you for replying.

As I wrote, the Fast Track is selected as Input and Output devise in Logic's Audio Preferences. Logic sees and send information to the Fast Track (I can monitor MIDI for instance, Output is ok), it just doesn't receive signal from any of the two input channel, as if no instrument was connected. I can provide other informations or screenshots if needed. Thanks again for the help.

Sep 26, 2015 3:37 PM in response to g.sorbetti

Actually, you said System Settings of the Mac, I thought you hadn't been into Logic's Audio preferences.

I didn't know the latest Logic (from Apple) would run on Mountain Lion, in fact I'm sure it doesn't.

From Apple: Minimum System Requirements. You can't even buy it from the app store with Mountain Lion.

• 4GB of RAM
  • Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher
  • OS X v10.9.5 or later
  • Requires 64-bit Audio Units plug-ins
  • Minimum 6GB of disk space. 49GB of optional content available via in-app download.

Sep 27, 2015 12:47 AM in response to Pancenter

It's not a problem of compatibility. The System Requirements you posted refer to the latest version of Logic Pro X (10.2). I'm using Logic Pro X 10.0.5, which is supposed to run fine on OS X 10.8.4 or later. And it does, I have access to all softer instruments, I've even downloaded additional material, no problem with Output, monitoring, etc. My problem is that when I create audio tracks, selecting the right channel from the right Input device, Logic just doesn't receive any signal. At first I've thought of hardware problems (Fast Track or cables), but running Garage Band and Logic Pro at the same time, Garage Band is able to receive and record sound, while Logic doesn't, so it must be something within Logic. Other strange fact is that changing audio preferences, and selecting the bulit-in microphone as input device, Logic works and record with no problem. So there must be something between Logic and the Fast Track that doesn't work, but I wonder what it is, since Logic sees the Fast Track and I receive normal Output from it. Thank you again for helping!

Sep 27, 2015 3:12 AM in response to Authentic Identity

Hello,

1) I can monitor software instruments (i.e. MIDI sounds, loops, etc.), but, since there is no signal going into Logic, I can't software-monitoring my real instruments (of course I can hardware monitoring, but this has nothing to do with Logic, it's just between the audio interface and my instruments).

2) In the Channel Strip Logic doesn't show the record button unless it receives a signal it can record (for instance that's what happen with loops), so the answer is no, record isn't enabled, but the problem is not about recording, it's about Logic recognizing my audio interface, sending correct outputs (just for MIDI sounds, loops, etc.), but not receiving inputs from it. This is what made me think about an hardware problem at first, but everything is working fine on other softwares (Garage Band and Ableton Live), where I'm able to receive and record sound with the same audio interface and cables.

3) Yes of course Software Monitoring is checked.

4) The track is receiving no signal at all, and therefore it doesn't come out any software monitoring.

Thanks you too for interesting in my problem and assisting me.

Sep 27, 2015 3:28 AM in response to g.sorbetti

1) I know hardware monitoring isn't Logic, but it DOES tell us that audio is getting to the interface, just not to Logic. That helps us identify where the problem is.
2) Incorrect. If you right click on a track, a pop up menu occurs. At the bottom of that menu go to Click Header Components->Show Record Enable and ->Show On/Off and ->Show Input Monitoring.
Ensure that the track is Record Enabled, that it is set to On, and that Input Monitoring is enabled.
3) Good.
4) Ok. And you're sure that you have the correct input selected? A few things to check. If you are recording a Guitar, for example, make sure that the channel strip input isn't set to to "Input 1+2" stereo. Ensure that it's a Mono "Input 1."
Also make sure that the channel strip has "Output 1 and 2" selected for the output.

Could you provide a screenshot of your channel strip as you have it setup?

Logic doesn't receive signal from my interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.