Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 6s is stuck on Slide to Update screen and it won't update or backup on iTunes. What can I do?

I've read online all I need to do is create a backup on itunes but it's not doing it. And I can't update iOS9 because I need to do the passcode thing but it is stuck on the screen. Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem??

iPhone 6s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply
14 replies

Sep 30, 2015 1:26 PM in response to AmbiiJJ

Turned in my trusty iPhone 4 after dropping it in water. Bought iPhone 6s. No idea what OS came with it, and now I can't find out. Here's the sequence:

1. New phone worked perfectly.
  2. Wanted to import music from laptop iTunes. Phone would not sync to iTunes 11.xx (which was latest version my old laptop system could run)
  3. Upgraded laptop OS to 10.5.5 Yosemite
  4. Phone wouldn’t sync with iTunes 12.2 (version downloaded with Yosemite)
  5. Downloaded and installed iTunes 12.3
  6. Phone synced when plugged in. So far, so good . . .
  7. When sync finished, I ejected phone. “Slide to upgrade” appeared on phone screen. Would not slide or respond to pressing home screen button. Essentially, frozen . . .
  8. Pressed power button off and back on. No change. Dead “Slide to upgrade” still appeared.
  9. Held home button and power button down — got a screen with “Slide to Upgrade” but this time it DID slide to a passcode keypad.
  10. Entered code, got “Hello” screen with “Slide to set up”
  11. When slid, it gave me passcode keypad again
  12. Entered code, got “Update completed” screen with “Continue”
  13. Pressed “Continue” got the dead “Slide to Upgrade” again.
  14. Now stuck in this loop.

Any of you Cupertino propellor heads listening? Hello?

Oct 2, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Rich Kline

I had the same problem, make sure your itunes is updated to the NEWEST version or this happens. I had the same loop going on and I had to uninstall and redownload itunes (even though it was up to date), connected it with my phone (reboot it before plugging into your laptop: press and hold power button and home screen for 12 seconds) onto my laptop again, swipe to your code when the white screen of upgrade flashes again : unlock/open it, and when it goes back to the white screen of it loading with the apple hovering, it will finish loading and update properly. Just make sure to not disconnect your phone again during the process and make sure itunes is up to date and it should start normally back to the home screen after it's done. Also make sure your wifi is strong.

Oct 2, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Rich Kline

The same freezing of "Slide to Upgrade" happened to my Iphone 5S when I upgraded to iOS 8.01. I tried all means I can think of but to no avail. Finally I plugged the phone to my MAC and restored the phone to its factory settings. That solved my problem - fortunately for me, I did back up the phone shortly before resorting to its restoration.

Oct 14, 2015 8:09 PM in response to AmbiiJJ

I fixed this issues updating versions 7.3 to 9 and 9.0 to 9.02

1. Open itunes

hold home and sleep button 15 second till apple logo come up....

2.Release both buttons

when the update window prompt out you got click on Downloand Only... [ Dont do Download and Update] because if you that it will

show up many error. wait till the file is full downloaded its gonna take few minutes depends of you internet connection

3. After the new version are download completely... Unplug and plug you iphone again

4. Now click on UPDATE button... It will take 10...15 minutes i fix my iphone 5s - 6 plus and 6s with this method.. Good luck

Oct 20, 2015 1:52 AM in response to AmbiiJJ

Hi Everyone, I have spent the last day trying to work this out for my partner and I have a certified fix, which is GUARANTEED to work! I think the problem can come when the old phone you have is not upgraded to the latest software. I am not 100% this is the cause however the only reason I can come up with, so....Presuming you still have your old phone, upgrade it to the latest software and do a back up, if you dont try this anyway as it should work.

Please find below a step by step guide on how to DFU restore your handset, you can either choose to restore from a back up or just restore, I chose from back up and this worked.

Switch on PC and load iTunes

Do not plug your phone in just yet

Make sure handset is switched off - just hold the on/off button until it goes dark, not a complete reset.

Plug one end of the cable into the PC (not in to the handset just yet)

Press and hold the home button on the handset while it is switched off

Whilst holding the button (do not let go until you see the itunes plug in it will appear eventually) Plug the cable into the handset and keep the home button pressed until you see a pop up appear in iTunes

Let go off the home button on the handset

On iTunes, select the update and restore option

Agree to terms and conditions

If all is well, iTunes will start downloading the iOS.

Once downloaded, at the top of the iTunes window, it will show you it is installing the software.

Once complete, test Handset

After a very unhappy partner this worked and everything updated as it should do.

Hope it helps.

Nov 22, 2015 5:12 AM in response to Msandy1

Msandy1 - thanks it worked!! Upgraded to 9.1 after it was stuck on continuous loop showing itunes icon and plug in the cable on the iphone screen.

I ensured that the lightning cable was plugged in to the motherboard directly at rear of PC rather than through a front panel.

Some moments of holding breath and patience needed as neither iTunes or iPhone show much to let you know what is going on.

But it worked 🙂

iPhone 6S Plus and iOS 9.1 now all functioning via Windows

Apple not without their flaws....

Nov 23, 2015 6:01 PM in response to AmbiiJJ

Thank God! Mine just worked!

What you have to do is keep your iphone plugged into the laptop and keep Itunes on. Then go all the way to that slide to upgrade screen where it gets stuck. Hopefully on Itunes it should say your phone can be updated to iOS 9.0.1 i think(its a newer iOS9) and click update. Now just leave your phone alone and it will update within 15-20 mins. You'll see it randomly restarting and turning on and off. Don't get frustrated with it and stop it. Just let the update finish. It will work.

I wish I had just had patience last night. I wasted 2 hours or so on this.

Good Luck!🙂

May 30, 2016 6:42 AM in response to Msandy1

Just tried this out when we got our new iPhone 6s it would only give us the message 'update requested' . I was totally ticked since it wouldn't update to 9.3.2 or restore from old 4s. Did exactly what was said and it updated the phone and restored it. Wife is now happy her new phone is working and restored to her old phone settings. You guys rock!

My iPhone 6s is stuck on Slide to Update screen and it won't update or backup on iTunes. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.