Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing app icons in app switcher after upgrade to iOS 9

The title, plus this screenshot, pretty much says it all. Only seems to be some apple app icons missing, mail, settings, Safari. But not all, notes and reminders still have there icons.

I've tried things like quitting the apps and restarting the phone, but nothing more elaborate yet, such as resetting home screen or resetting settings.

Thought I would check whether anyone else is seeing this first.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 3:59 AM

12 replies

Sep 30, 2015 12:59 PM in response to k.alexander

I didn't know there was an update until I read your post. Unfortunately, no it did not fix this issue. 😟

I already tried to restore my phone via icloud last night and realized for some reason I lost all of my iMessages. So I then restored from iTunes backup again and i got all of what i needed, but the icons for the app launcher/switcher area remains oddly an issue. And it seems to only be for Apple default apps, like "Settings", "Mail, "Calendar",

OH and just to add a little more frustration, all of the "History" of open apps from when I backed it up and transitioned from my old iPhone 6+ remains a haunting reminder no matter if i close out the history and restart (hard restart or normal power off and on). Maybe there is a fundamental issue with some cache that is now forever in my image? I think i need someone from apple to help troubleshoot this bug...

My OCD may need to just settle down as I just don't want to have to restore as it didn't work and i'm not starting with a blank phone again.

Sep 30, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Sweetango1975

Try doing an RESET OF ALL PHONE SETTINGS. It's a much more minor inconvenience than a full erase and set up from scratch. You may also want to do a Reset of the Home Screen. The later did not ultimately work for me, but then again I also wasn't having the problem you described of the 'history' of apps in the app switcher. I can swipe them up and they go away, restart, soft or hard, or not. So sounds like at the very least you have some corrupted setting; maybe resetting will help.

Sep 30, 2015 2:05 PM in response to scottfrommerrick

At this point, I tried a number of different things, resetting settings, and even wiping Setting up as a new phone. all of these work for a little while but the missing icon issue would eventually return. I'm wondering if it's being caused by some app that I have installed somehow.

I also didn't realize there was another update. I'll have to try that and see if it clears things up.

Sep 30, 2015 2:12 PM in response to scottfrommerrick

scottfrommerrick: just to clarify, you've done a full erase of the phone, subsequently set up the phone as a new phone (i.e. did not restore from an iTunes or iCloud back up); and the issue still came back?

If that's the case it has to be either a bug in iOS9 or as you've suggested one of your installed apps. I'd be happy to compare apps I have installed, maybe we can track, or narrow down to a list of possible culprit apps.

Sep 30, 2015 6:26 PM in response to k.alexander

I restored the phone and setup as new. It worked for a while, but after about a day, the icon issue returned.

While the device was setup as new. i still manually installed the same apps. I also signed into the same iCloud account. So it's hard to pin this to any one thing.

The issue seems to disappear temporarily after quitting all apps and restarting the phone. But evenly returns.

The issue persists after iOS 9.0.2 update.

I'll try to compile a list of all my apps and post here, to see if there are any unusual apps that we both have installed.

Oct 1, 2015 7:53 AM in response to scottfrommerrick

SSorry to say mine worked for a bit as well and the issue returned. It seems to be somewhat inconsistent which apps, but they are always Apple default apps. Examples: Mesaages, Settings, Safari, Mail. I believe this must be a bug. im not going to start my phone from scratch. too involved and I want to keep my health data etc. clearing settings already was an inconvenience. 😟

Oct 8, 2015 9:15 AM in response to scottfrommerrick

@Sweetango1975: I just want to confirm what you did. You said you erased the phone and set it up as new. You then manually reinstalled your apps, but you also signed in to your iCloud acct (to get calendar/contacts/etc to sync down to the phone); you did not restore from an iCloud back up. If all of the above is correct, you still experienced the same issue with the icons in the app switcher?

Oct 12, 2015 12:33 PM in response to k.alexander

@k.alexander: I did not erase phone and start from new. I merely "Reset All Settings" and then I had to set settings up all from scratch, but data and apps persisted. It worked for a while... then stopped working (missing icons again)... then i see the icons come and go. Depends on day. Seems inconsistent. It bothers me, but not enough to start my phone from scratch at this point as this seems to be a bug in my opinion. Any others finding success? :-P

Missing app icons in app switcher after upgrade to iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.