Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent starting up to time machine drive

Hi,

I recently added an SSD to the mini 2012 running Yosemite. SSD is now boot disk and I use the apple HDD in the dual bay as a media drive plus time machine backup.

The problem I have is that the mini boots into time machine in recovery mode every time I reboot even if the start up volume is Macintosh HD on the SSD. I then need to select the correct volume from the Startup options. Is it possible to stop it booting into the time machine volume by default?

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2012, time machine

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 4:55 AM

4 replies

Sep 27, 2015 1:30 AM in response to den.thed

Hi,Thank you for your response.

I do have the SSD as the startup disk in preferences. But when I restart the system, it still boots into Time machine volume in the internal HDD first.

Not a big concern as this is now a media server and hardly has to restart but struggling to understand why this happens. Does time machine volumes get first preference in the boot sequence?

Sep 27, 2015 7:48 AM in response to idomz

I agree with IIIaass, it is impossible to know what the problem is without seeing more because we are not sitting in front of your Mac.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have dual drives in my 2012 Mac Mini, a 240GB SSD and a 500GB HDD. I have disconnected all of my external FireWire and USB backup drives to help keep the confusion to a minimum.

So that now in my Startup Disk Preference, we only see my Macintosh SSD and my Macintosh HDD.

User uploaded file

Both my SSD and HDD are bootable. When I originally installed the SSD and formatted it, I named it Macintosh SSD to help me easily identify which drive was which. I used CCC to clone over everything except for my iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie media libraries from the HDD to the SSD. My HDD is still bootable because I left OS X and everything else intact on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What we need to see is what your Drives look like in Disk Utility, including the Disk Info at the bottom.

User uploaded file

Plus the information for the SSD drive at "About This Mac > System Report > SATA/SATA Express" is also very useful.

User uploaded file

Prevent starting up to time machine drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.