Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reduce white space around a video clip

Hello,

I'm trying to reduce the white or dead space around a video clip that I want to embed in my iBook.

The video clip is a .mp4 I can remove the border but can't seem to reduce this dead space.

Regards,

Iain

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 5:17 AM

3 replies

Sep 27, 2015 11:50 AM in response to IainMac1000

there are probably a number of video editing tools out there that will do this job, perhaps even iMovie or final cut pro but since i have not used them much for the last 10 years i can't remember for sure. adobe has comparable video editing software that you might look at seeing if it does what you want. seems to me i might have done these things in quick time pro back in the 90's (that's the 1990's)

however, when i had this problem on my current creation, (which by the way is almost done and it is already on my recommendation list as the must read book of the year), i used a video editing tool that i had purchased when i did more video work. it is called squeeze by sorenson media. it costs, but there is a lite version for those like me whose wife has put them on a budget leash. search squeeze video and it will come up.

it is mainly used for video or audio conversions from one format to another and i have put that feature to good use in my book. but a few months ago when a new version of iba came out (i think), a partial black border appeared in videos. you can search the discussion of that thread on this site if you are interested. i used squeeze to remove the black line. it easily allows you to crop a video.

try before you buy as there is a trial version. i presume that the trial version is watermarked but am not sure as i already had a license from my previous life.

disclaimer: i am no way shape or form connected to this company and i am not on one of those retainer programs that i hear about where i get $50.000 per year just for mentioning their software on any and every forum in this world. i mention it solely to help you solve a problem that you are having that was the same as mine and so that you can move on to completion of your project.

Sep 27, 2015 3:22 PM in response to richard the old

Hello,

Thanks for the response. However, I may not have made myself clear. I've attached a couple of videos that I have placed in my iBook using the Media widget - see below. I've also placed a gradient fill in the free space that I want removed. The first image clearly shows the size of the actual video(which I have tools for editing its size). I've also added the gradient fill in the 2nd - again I want it removed. I do not require this additional padding around the video. Surely this is achievable? Regards, Iain

User uploaded fileI

Sep 27, 2015 5:00 PM in response to IainMac1000

you were crystal clear and what you show me is how i understood your problem.

what you want to do is called cropping. it will eliminate the gradient fill in the movie. it works the same way that adobe photoshop works when you crop a photo. it will do so on the movie. you just maneuver the boundary around the area you want to remain. this becomes your new movie.

i am very confident from what you show me that it will work on the lower video, since the actual video has a length and width consistent with video frame sizes i.e. the ratio of length to width has to be a certain ratio.

the top video will be a problem as the portion you want to preserve from the crop is too long for the given width, i believe..

i suggest you download the free copy of the software i suggested. it doesn't take long to learn how to use it and find out how to crop. if you do so and need further assistance of a step by step walk thru, i will do so as best as this forum software allows.

Reduce white space around a video clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.