Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen goes black after starting application under iOS9

After upgrading from iOS8 to iOS9 on my iPhone4s I experienced poor performance when starting some applications. E.g. if I start Contacts app, then instead of showing the contact book screen goes black and this situation seems to have no end. It can be stopped by pressing start button. Then the application goes to background. After picking it up from background using application scroll (double click of start button), address book is displayed properly. Similar behavior can be experienced with other applications. Some of them, being picked up from background freeze for very long time. Sometimes they unfreeze after a while by themselves and sometimes they have to be killed and started again. iPhone reboot also helps but this is the way to be used frequently for solving problems.

Does anybody experience the same problem? Is it solvable or I need to wait for new iOS9 patch? Do apple know that this is an issue. Upgrade from 9.0.0 to 9.0.1 did not solve it and e.g. Contact app is a built in one.

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 6:45 AM

12 replies

Oct 8, 2015 11:49 AM in response to cezaryma

Do you still have this problem? With me the problem is still there.

I wonder: when did it exactly occur. Was it like the same day you upgraded to iOS9 or some days later? Before it happened the first time, can you remember if you removed any Apps? And if so, which apps did you remove and why. I only ask because my wife, who has the same phone, does not have this problem. There must be something that triggered it. And I see a connection with deleted apps. So either it's just coincidence or a connection.

Anyone else that has the problem and wants to join the discussion?

Oct 8, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Jan Willem Helderman

Problem started very shortly after installing iOS9. Since writing my post I upgraded my iOS to version 9.02. I also put it on more precise observation. Out of this appears that the problem is probably related to amount of free memory and amount of concurrently running apps. Probably it develops faster when connecting phone to PC and iTunes. I am not sure if 9.02 is a bit better than previous versions but I know that it is still not free of black screen problem but freezing of applications is almost gone. For some apps it is so bad, that putting it to background and back to front does not make it to appear on the screen, i.e. it goes black every time you try starting it. Once this happens reboot is a must, but at least it helps to cure it for a while. If phone is only in limited use, for calling messages and mails, it takes much longer for the black screen problem to come back again.

Oct 8, 2015 1:23 PM in response to cezaryma

So I have an 4S as well and have been having the same problem: black screens and frozen apps. I was told by a 6 user that my phone was just "old" but they are now having the same issues! I believe the problem truly is an IOS 9 Problem. I always have to keep pushing the start button which at times turnes the Guided Access on from pressing too many times. I want a solution but I hear all the 6 users are having the same problem.

Oct 8, 2015 3:17 PM in response to cezaryma

The video you looked at is the biggest problem I've been having. I took my original iPhone 6S Plus to the Apple Store yesterday and returned it and purchased a new one which is having the same problem. Today while at work I wiped the device and set it up without installing any apps other than the Apple ones and I could not get it to fail. I have a suspicion that it could be one of dozens of apps I install that could be causing some type of issue. I might be taking a stab in the dark but it seems like apps that use location services are the ones that cause my particular problem. I have also seen the issue you are referring to but in my case I've had to do a hard reset (pressing the home and power buttons at the same time for a few seconds) to get the phone back to a working state. Either way it's very frustrating when I go to use my camera and it just laughs at me and shuts off... I just installed iOS 9.1 beta 4 and although I experienced the issue on my returned iPhone 6S Plus with beta 3 maybe this will fix the issue?

Oct 8, 2015 3:36 PM in response to cezaryma

I have this very same problem instead my phone started doing this after the YouTube app was updated.. I've had iOS9 for a month and this never happened. It wasn't until MY YouTube app finally updated to their new white icon backdrop and their new app layout that I began experiencing this problem. Any app I open (for the first time.. Meaning it is not open in multitasking) the screen goes black. I hit the Home button and I am taken back to Home then when I try opening the same app again it works properly. It's really annoying I hope this gets fixed soon!

Oct 8, 2015 5:03 PM in response to cezaryma

You could try force closing the app.

Hold your iPhone's power button until the "slide to turn off" screen appears. Then press the home button and keep it pressed until you are redirected to the home screen. Try opening that app again. If not working, soft reset your iPhone. Hold both the power and home buttons for 10 seconds or until the Apple logo shows.

Good luck! 🙂

Oct 8, 2015 11:31 PM in response to cezaryma

Interesting observation, about the memory… I wonder where it all fits together. Let me add some:

• Restarting clears the problem (goes for all of us, right?)
  • With me the problem starts at the end of the day, I cannot point out an exact time but I can say for sure it is past 16:00 hours, Dutch time.
  • Apps I will have used during working hours are Phone, Addresbook, Dispatch (mail), iMessage, Whatsapp, Nu.nl (Dutch news). Sometimes Facebook or Friendly+ And Tweatcaster, but never Youtube (rarely use it). Sometimes I hardly use the iPhone, sometimes a lot. Hard to say if I pushed the memory when I hardly used the phone.
  • I have noticed once the problem did not uccur at the end of the day while the phone was fully loaded but used a lot (which was the reason I kept it plugged in). Does power have influence?
  • In some cases the problem stayed, even after a night of rest while being loaded during the night. The phone is plugged in every night.
  • This morning however, the problem has gone, while it showed last evening. I did not restart the phone. I was surprised :-)
  • Having read your contibutions I tried to 'make it happen' using Youtube, location services, switch between apps that must use a lot of memory, but it did not show up. The only thing that is different: it is not the end of the day.
  • The reason I asked about deleted Apps: WIth me it started after deleting a few suspicious Apps (related to the China Xcode issue). In my case Mercury Browser, Card Scanner and one more I can't remember right now). I wondered if it has anything to do with it. In combination with the fact that I see some connection to 'time' I wondered if there would be a service in the background that tries to connect to something (which is not there).
  • Again I ask myself: does power have influence? The fact it happens at the end of the day also means the power is low.

But still, these are just observations. I would like Apple to solve it.

Oct 23, 2015 12:30 PM in response to cezaryma

Problem solved by any of you?

With me, it's not even close. Tried many things, but the problem is still there. A perfectly good new iPhone 6 ****** up by Apple's iOS 9. I am getting sick of these black screens on every start up of Apps. And they are doing nothing about it.

@Apple: it also effects your Apps, like iTunes, Appstore, basice phone App (!!!), Messages, Music, etc. etc. SOLVE THIS.

I also tried to send a report or get help. But every time I try to do so, Apple's webserver "has a problem" and I am asked "to try again later". So it is clear Apple does not want to get reports about this.

Screen goes black after starting application under iOS9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.