Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I merge some keywords into one?

I realize I can make a smart collection for every keyword, delete it and after that assign to them appropriate keyword. But it’s a little too much. Is there any way to do it in a quick, like in Aperture?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 5:43 AM

8 replies

Sep 26, 2015 5:53 AM in response to AlekThunder

No, you have to do it exactly as you described. Merging keywords is not possible.

When you try to merge keywords by renaming the second keyword to the name of an existing keyword, you will get an error message.

Even renaming keywords to a different name is is not as versatile as in Aperture. Your smart albums will not automatically update to the new name.

User uploaded file

Sep 26, 2015 6:12 AM in response to AlekThunder

You either do it one by one or You use the Keyword manager to manage keywords for a group of photos

How you collect the to select for use by the keyword manager is your decision - it can be any way including a smart album )if you use a smart album do the additions before doing the deletions)

and no you are not being very clear - but I do not beieve that it affects the answer

LN

Sep 26, 2015 7:58 AM in response to AlekThunder

I guess didn't understand me. I mean, I make a smart collection by keyword that I'm going to reassign (to select photos). After that I assign to these pictures a keyword I need and delete a keyword I do not need.

That's right. You can do it this way. What I meant, there is no merging of keywords like in Aperture, as you asked in your question.

To merge two keywords "key1" and key2" I would create a smart album with the rule "keyword is key1" or "keyword is key2". Then assign the new merged keyword to the photos in this smart album.

And then delete both old keywords in the edit mode of the keyword manager.

It is no problem to create a temporary smart album with "File > new smart album" for the search and to delete it when you are done. I keep one smart album that I always use for searching.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library this may result in a very long period of syncing, if you have to change the keyword in many photos.

Sep 26, 2015 11:14 AM in response to AlekThunder

I make a smart collection by keyword that I'm going to reassign (to select photos). After that I assign to these pictures a keyword I need and delete a keyword I do not need.

You can do that in the smart album you first create to gather them in one place. D0 the following:

1 - Select the all the photos you want to in the smart album.

2 - type Command+K to bring up the Keyword pane:

User uploaded filef

The keywords in blue are those assigned to the photos.

3 - click on the keyword you want to add so it turns blue.

4 - click on the blue keyword you want to remove so it turns white (background).

Note: Be sure to add the new keyword first because if you remove the existing keyword first the photos will disappear form the smart album before you can add the new keyword.

That's it. You've added one keyword and removed another.

User uploaded file

Can I merge some keywords into one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.