Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Import using Camera Connection Kit does not work with IOS 9 and 32Gb SD card

The camera connection kit and photo import has always worked perfectly until IOS 9. Now with my 32GB SD card, the photos are not displaying to allow me to select those I want to import to my iPad. It just display "jpg" box without the photo.

this is only a problem with SD card larger than 32Gb SD card.... I don't have this problem with my 16Gb card and/or IOS 8.

This problem is only with IOS 9 and 32GB card and above.

it is like an out of RAM problem.

hopefully others has the same problem and Apple will have a fix very soon

iPad, iOS 9.0.1, Photo import using connection kit

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 7:21 AM

13 replies

Sep 26, 2015 10:02 AM in response to Aycfoo

HI, I have same problem. My 32Gb grade 10 card has always worked using Apple adapter until iOS 9. Now behaves as you describe. (I'm using same camera, same card and same iPad mini). Thought iPad was getting low on memory, so deleted 15 gigs of photos but still doesn't work. Let's hope Apple pick this up otherwise another tedious trip to the local store:(

Oct 2, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Aycfoo

Further to my last post, It seems ios9 cannot cope with too many images on the camera card. (I suspect Apple have reduced the memory allocation for copying photos.)

TRy (see the bug which keeps the caps lock on for 2 characters) using a new card in your camera, take a few pics, then you should be able to copy to your iPad no problem.

HOpe ( the it is again) this helps

Oct 8, 2015 8:09 AM in response to RikkCG

I also have a problem with iOS 9 and my Canon camera. The Photo App always tells me there are no pictures but there are a lot of it on the 64 GB card. iOS 8 never had a problem with the SD Card from my Canon Camera.

But I found out something.

Put the SD Card into my MacBook Pro. Deleted the "CANONMSC" folder. After that back to the iPad. Connected the SD Card via the Connection Kit and tadaa there are all my pictures. But this "CANONMSC" folder is automaticlly made by the camera so after i tock another picture iOS 9 is not able to find any pictures again -.-

Oct 9, 2015 2:15 AM in response to Aycfoo

I have the same problem with a Canon 60D and a 16GB SD card trying to import photos to iPad with official SD reader. Admittedly the card is quite full, but there were no issues at all with iOS8. Using an iPad Air with iOS 9.0.2 and it no longer works. I just get a lot of grey boxes with jpg displayed. There is over 10GB spare on the iPad, but it won't preview the thumb nails.

Really frustrating as I use my iPad a lot for photography. Please fix ASAP Apple.

Oct 9, 2015 2:43 AM in response to iamnoone23

HI, I have a camera card with several hundred images.

WIth ios8 you could see all the thumbnails displayed. Now with ios9, only a couple hundred thumbs are displayed properly, the rest grey boxes as you describe.

My best solution so far has been to use a new or empty card in the camera and transfer pics before you get too many for the iPad to read.

BIt of a pain, but is a work round until apple see fit to fix.

Oct 18, 2015 2:09 PM in response to podphonepadshuffle

I am not using an iPad Air, just a mini. Photo upload only became problem after upgrade to ios9. So, yes, Apple should address this but suspect they are more interested on popping up the annoying game center pop up than us normal users who just want to upload a few photos ( which don't earn them any revenue) so, no, don't think Apple are interested

If you limit the number of photos on your camera card to 1 - 200 images, you should find they will upload ok.

Oct 18, 2015 5:45 PM in response to Aycfoo

yes I have a similar problem with 32GB SD cards from my camera , however works well with a16GB micro SD from a GOPRO. Also when you now import into ipad photo app you donr get a last import album created automatically , the original Pre IOS 7 import also included a last iport and all import album which was useful, but Apple in their wisdom got rid of the all import album in IOS 8 and now have got rid of the last import album. not sure what was the reasonong

Photo Import using Camera Connection Kit does not work with IOS 9 and 32Gb SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.