Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do iPhone 6S and 6S+ connect to MFI HAs more quickly?

Although in recent months I have been reasonably satisfied with speed of connection by iPhone 6+ with my hearing aids, it is not instantaneous.

It would be a big selling point for the 6S models if the extra processor speed made connection faster.

Anyone upgraded and seen an improvement?

Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 11:04 AM

8 replies

Sep 26, 2015 12:19 PM in response to mikebhm

I have a 5S and the speed of connection has always been acceptable for me.

You will never see "instantaneous." Bluetooth technology relies upon a negotiation between the devices. Essentially, they both have to agree to connect before the connection is made.

Have you timed how long it takes for your 6+ to connect to your hearing aids?

Sep 28, 2015 11:34 PM in response to OldGnome

Thanks. I realise "instantaneous" isn't going to happen, but thought it possible that the bluetooth negotiations might just be quicker if the processor was faster , even though only on the phone side.

The situation with my HAs and iPhone 6+ is variable. I use the ReSound SMART app to switch program, streaming source, volume etc. The app has two progress bars for the connection status at the top of the screen.

Most of the time, I open the app to change something and the HAs are already connected and I can do what I want straightaway Occasionally they are not connected and the progress bars show and it takes maybe 2-4 seconds. I haven't noticed any previous history which determines whether they are already connected or not. It is not a simple matter of whether I have recently been out of range of my phone. I can go out of range of my phone e.g. leaving it in a different room, and when I come back in the room I can see the phone wakeup as it recognises and connects with the HAs.

The other delay is incoming phone calls. After I accept the call there is a delay before the caller can hear me. I think this happens pretty consistently every call. It has improved since I got my ReSound Enzos a year ago.

As I said this is not a big issue, I am pretty happy with how quickly they connect. There is an element of justifying getting an iPhone 6s here!

Sep 29, 2015 10:48 AM in response to OldGnome

Not sure I quite understand what you are saying! What is "SoundStream"?

The in-coming audio on all phone calls is streamed to my HAs, but the iPhone mic is what sends my voice to the caller of course. My own voice is not connected to the HAs, i.e. I don't hear my own voice streamed, that comes from the HAs own external mic and I can adjust the volume of that independently from the volume of the streamed input. This is useful: at home I like to hear my own voice, so have it turned up. In a noisy place I can mute the external mics to cut out all ambient noise so I can hear the caller better, but can't hear my own voice.

Sep 29, 2015 11:21 AM in response to OldGnome

OK that sounds like a Starkey feature then. I don't have that on my ReSound Enzo 9.

What you describe sounds like "Live Listen". When you put the phone into Live Listen mode the phone's microphone streams sound to the hearing aids but it is not relevant or useful for phone calls (or much else that I can see). Live Listen is not a ReSound feature, it is accessed from the Hearing Accessibility screen (triple click the home button).

Do iPhone 6S and 6S+ connect to MFI HAs more quickly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.