Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The camera in my iMac works for Skype, etc., but iMovie does not detect the iSight or a plug-in camera.

I have a late 2009 iMac, running Yosemite 10.10.5.

iMovie does no longer detects the built-in camera at the top of my screen. The camera does work for Skype and other applications.

Charlie

iMac

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 10:42 AM

CLICKY CLICK---> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090How to Troubleshoot iSight

CLICKY CLICK---> my isight camera is not working-not recognised with photo booth or ichat

=============

To fix your iSight, shut down computer. Reboot in safe mode (press power button and then hold shift key down). After computer boots, restart again. Hopefully, your iSight will start working again.

CLICKY CLICK---> Fixing “There is no connected camera” Error with a Mac FaceTime Camera (iSight)

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2015 10:42 AM in response to charlienutrition

CLICKY CLICK---> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090How to Troubleshoot iSight

CLICKY CLICK---> my isight camera is not working-not recognised with photo booth or ichat

=============

To fix your iSight, shut down computer. Reboot in safe mode (press power button and then hold shift key down). After computer boots, restart again. Hopefully, your iSight will start working again.

CLICKY CLICK---> Fixing “There is no connected camera” Error with a Mac FaceTime Camera (iSight)

User uploaded file

Sep 27, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Hi B Boomer Thanks for your reply ... I did as you suggested ... and now when I try to launch iMovie ... I get a message that stumps me:

Quartz Extreme Required iMovie requires a graphics card that is compatible with Quartz Extreme. One or more of your graphics cards does not support Quartz Extreme.

Do you think I can buy the right card and retrofit my 2009 iMac ?

Thanks,

Charlie

Sep 27, 2015 11:40 AM in response to charlienutrition

Which version of iMovie are you using?

Which model iMac do you have? There are 4 different kinds of "late 2009" models. See KB Article: How to identify iMac models - Apple Support & advise which one is your model. Or go to Apple>About This Mac>Overview. Post a screen shot of the window. **DO NOT post/screen shot the serial#**

Hopefully, an iMovie knowledgeable user will be along shortly to help you after you submit the above info. Sorry, I rarely use iMovie.

User uploaded file

The camera in my iMac works for Skype, etc., but iMovie does not detect the iSight or a plug-in camera.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.