Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Time Capsule Issues

My 3TB Airport Time Capsule has two major issues. Since September 9, the time machine feature on my macbook pro retina (late 2013) has not been able to find the drive in my time capsule and cannot backup to it. Also, when I use the time capsule as a wifi router, I have a weak connection. The connection is stable enough for a while, but my macbook eventually loses the signal completely. Additionally, I also notice the airplay display icon in my menubar will disappear and reappear every few minutes. I have tried restarting my macbook and my time capsule, but the issues persist. I also did a hard reset of the time capsule and I still have those same problems. I should mention that September 9 is also the same time I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan’s GM release. Would my problems be related to my OS upgrade or could it be a hardware issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 5:22 PM

15 replies

Sep 26, 2015 8:13 PM in response to Prussian360

I should mention that September 9 is also the same time I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan’s GM release.
Since September 9, the time machine feature on my macbook pro retina (late 2013) has not been able to find the drive in my time capsule

Putting those two things together lets say the chances of this being coincidence is remote in the extreme.

This is typical of a new OS.

Reset the TC to factory and completely redo its setup.

Use all short names, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

Do not use identical names to your previous setup.. even if you used names that were correct.. change them.

Redo the TM setup and see if it will pickup the old setup and continue.. if it doesn't you may need to consider starting a new TM backup. Simply change the sharename and it should be able to start a new backup but it depends if there is sufficient space on the disk.

Reset the NVRAM in the laptop is also well worthwhile.

Sep 30, 2015 8:35 PM in response to Prussian360

I need to see how your TC is setup.

So give me the short summary screen.

User uploaded file

Then click edit which I have highlighted.

And give me internet, wireless and network tabs.

eg wireless.

User uploaded file

I also want to know what your main router is.. and how the TC is connected to the network..

Some testing by ethernet instead of wireless is always useful. I do not trust wireless and especially on upgrade installs of the newest OS>

Oct 1, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Prussian360

Nothing wrong with that.

You need to reset the TC to factory and redo the setup from the computer.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

I strongly recommend NOT using the apple recommended names.. your wireless name is fine but change the main base station name to something similar.

All passwords are 8-20 characters pure alphanumerics.

Then select the TC again in Time Machine and start a backup.. it will tell you it is going to do a new backup.. what will hopefully happen is that it will discover the old backup and continue.. The instructions for this are in pondini if you want to read more.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

See B5 and B6 about connecting to your old backups.

The need to redo the setup of the TC is crucial to get things working again..

It can then be a case of the computer itself having issues with the wireless driver. You might need to reset the NVRAM and at least upgrade to the release version of El Capitan now that it is available.

Oct 1, 2015 3:18 PM in response to LaPastenague

I reset the TC as you instructed. So far I seem to be getting a stable wifi connection. However, the airplay display icon is nowhere to be seen and when I select time machine, the time capsule is nowhere to be seen. It does find something called "Data on ACbriton (the TC's name)" but not the time capsule itself. I'm pretty sure it was different before my problems started. I also reset the NVRAM and it doesn't seem to change anything. Currently, I'm downloading the release version of El Capitan to see if an installation of that will change anything.

Oct 3, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Prussian360

Prussian360 wrote:

Everything seems to be acting normal again now. I guess the combination of a clean install of El Capitan as well as a factory reset of the TC did the trick.

Good to hear.. I am less than ever enamoured with the idea of upgrade installs.. especially if they have major changes.. clean installs and factory resets to everything and life seems to move along pretty well. Getting back files and settings should still be possible with migration but tell me how that is going.

I am about to test it as there are now lots of questions about failed updates to El Capo.

This is the usual real world teething problems of a new OS.. but considering the limited amount of hardware apple have to test on I am disappointed they cannot get it better.

Multiple Time Capsule Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.