Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library is not yet available

I am constantly getting the "iTunes cannot sync photos to the iPad “Melbourne” because your Photos Library is not yet available. Please try again later." mesage when trying to sync my iPhone & iPad - does anyone know how to fix it?

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.1, also happens on my iPhone

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply
23 replies

Oct 6, 2015 6:01 AM in response to debono.george

Thanks!

The problem seems to be solved, for now, although I'm getting failures to sync once or twice a week now. I have finally upgraded everything: newest Photos (I was in iPhoto until 48 hours ago), El Capitan (I was still on Mavericks until a week ago), newest iOS (I keep that one up to date). Maybe, just maybe, the past 72 hours of getting everything back to "just working" will lead to some kind of stability.

What I did:

• Turned iPhone off and on.
  • Rebuilt Photos library: press Option + Command while opening the program. (The darn thing's only 24 hours old and it needed rebuilding?!)
  • Turned iTunes off and on.
  • Quit Photos.

And then it synced. Who knows which of the above, if any, made the difference in avoiding the "Photos Library is not yet available" alert. At least I didn't need to empty the iPod Photo Cache for the umpteenth time.

Of course, iTunes is telling me there are only 150 photos on the iPhone, and the iPhone tells me there 1,792, and the album that's supposed to sync has around 1,950, but for now I think I'll let that slide.

(Darn updates. My desktop photos all just reset to the El Capitan picture. Again. But that's for another thread.)

Oct 6, 2015 6:09 PM in response to debono.george

I kept getting the same message when trying to sync my iPhone 6 after updating to El Capitan last night. Tried a number of times, same message.

I finally quit iTunes and Photos and completely shut down my computer and let it sit there for 10 seconds or so. Started the computer back up, then went back into iTunes and Photos. Plugged in the iPhone and everything synched successfully - including my photos.

I had tried just restarting the computer but that didn't work. For me, shutting it off completely and then restarting seemed to do the trick.

Oct 10, 2015 4:26 PM in response to debono.george

Sigh. Well, I got the "Photos Library is not yet available" warning again. No idea why it reappeared after it went away a few posts back.

I think this is going to be the latest iteration in the long line of warnings that will never really go away. When it appears, do one or all of turn computer on and off, turn iTunes on and off, restart iPhone, rebuild Photos library, and delete iPod Photo Cache. Then it may work. For a day or two. I do wish Apple would somehow include an option to sync only different things on to the device - I'm usually only syncing to add a couple of audiobook files.

Oct 10, 2015 10:06 PM in response to debono.george

First turn off everything in iCloud for Photo. then shut down iTunes and Photo. Next connect iPhone with cable to computer, then go to sync your phone without changing any setting. VERY IMPORTANT.... do not alter anything in Photo when the sync is occurring or you will get the error. Leave it be for about 10 min and everything should sync. The first time it worked it took 20 minutes.

Oct 14, 2015 7:55 PM in response to debono.george

I have a 2008 Aluminum Macbook (not the Pro). Here's what worked for me (El Capitan took forever to install and then start up the first time):

1. Deleted previous device backups

(iTunes Preferences > Devices)

2. Quit iTunes
  3. Shut down computer
  4. Reset SMC

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

5. Reset NVRAM

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

6. Rebuilt Photo Library

Hold Command and Option while launching Photos, It may ask for your system password

7. Quit Photos
  8. Launched iTunes
  9. Synced iPad Air

No errors; but it takes longer to do a fresh backup

10. Synced iPhone 6

No errors; but it takes longer to do a fresh backup

Pretty sure about the only thing that might not have done anything was resetting the SMC (just not sure that would have anything to do with this apparent software issue), but this process worked after reading and trying various thread solutions on their own. I tried things such as restarting each device--not complete shut down, or rebuilding just the photos library on its own, then trying a sync; resetting iTunes (& device) warnings. Hope it helps somebody.

I'm posting this in this thread since its topic is the exact error message that I was able to clear out.

Oct 18, 2015 9:56 PM in response to vidstone

A question: is the "Photos library not ready" warning basically stopping all the other syncing for other users? I keep making the warning go away by some combination of rebuilding/turning off/turning on - and then it comes back again a day or two later. But the photos I actually sync to my phone change so seldom that I don't really care if the photo syncing works properly or not. The problem I think I'm having is that, if I get the "Photos library not ready" warning, nothing else is syncing - the audiobooks and playlist updates that I really want to sync don't go through either. I'm not completely sure if this is happening, but I seem to be only getting audio material to sync if I turn off "Sync Photos" entirely. As best I can tell, this otherwise-minor issue is messing everything else up too. Or am I imagining that?

Oct 19, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Lost in Asia

I am not sure what is causing it, but I tried a lot of suggestions and none were helpful. What ended up working for me was to leave Photos open for a few hours over night (I had iTunes closed, but I am not sure if that matters) and then when I closed it and opened iTunes everything worked fine. I did this twice when the error showed up and now it is working with 2 iPhones and 2 iPads.

I am not sure if it was something that Photos was still processing that needed to complete or just a coincidence, but perhaps it is something to try.

Photos Library is not yet available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.