Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 becomes unresponsive when locked after iOS 9 update

I upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS 9 a few days ago. Ever since then, if I allow it to lock when it is not plugged in, after a minute or so it becomes unresponsive. Pressing the home button no longer will wake it up, and the power button is equally ineffective. If I press the home button repeatedly, the lock screen comes up, but then immediately freezes. The only way I can get out of this is doing a hard reset with both buttons. Nothing I have tried has worked, and I'm getting really tired of having to either keep my screen on constantly, leave the phone off, or leave it connected to a power source. None of those are realistic solutions, obviously.

Things I have tried:

• hard resets
  • updating to iOS 9.0.1
  • restoring from backups (unfortunately, not only was I dumb enough to upgrade before the bugs were worked out, but I also didn't create a backup before doing so, meaning all my backups are post iOS 9)
  • restoring, period, and getting a fresh download of the OS

Things I have not tried:

throwing the thing out the window

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1, null

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 9:00 PM

4 replies

Sep 28, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Lauri22

hi lauri

i am having the same problem, its so annoying and frustrating, u feel like handicapped without a phone these day, we spend so much buying these expensive hardware and then all of sudden apple decides to screw our happiness with these stupid updates which does not solve anything rather complicates our lives. i guess am sounding equally frustrated , let me know if u any way to get out of this mess

Oct 1, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Lauri22

Update: I upgraded to 9.0.2, and the only change is that when I let the phone lock and freeze, after a few minutes it restarts. It will do that repeatedly until I finally unlock it right after a restart. I still have autolock turned off.

I'm planning on taking the phone to an Apple store on Friday, but I'm concerned they'll fix the problem by wiping the phone and putting a fresh copy of the OS on, and the problem will come back when I restore my information to it. I might bring my computer, too, just so I can do all that there. Argh! I just want my phone to work!

Oct 2, 2015 6:40 PM in response to Lauri22

Update 2: I went to an Apple Store, and they had me call 1-800-APLCARE, while remaining in the store. The woman on the phone had me restore my iPhone to factory settings, then restore from an iCloud backup. This did not fix the problem, but symptoms did not return until I left the store. I plan to return in a few days.

New symptom: apps crashing. Sigh.

Oct 6, 2015 9:04 PM in response to Lauri22

Final update:

In a last ditch effort I reset the phone to factory settings and set up as a new phone. This still didn't fix the problem, and I was advised it might be a hardware issue. Today I took the phone to the Apple Store, where they confirmed that hypothesis and gave me a replacement. (Thank goodness it was still under warrantee!)

iPhone 6 becomes unresponsive when locked after iOS 9 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.