Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" 2015 long term clamshell mode; will it damage the battery as it's always on AC?

Hey guys, I've always been on PC/Windows but have recently invested on a MacBook and a Thunderbolt display. My question is:

1. If I dock my MacBook Pro 13" 2015 with the Thunderbolt display in clamshell mode, will it cause issues with my battery as it will always be on AC?

2. What would be the best way to dock my MacBook to Thunderbolt display without damaging the battery in the long run?

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate your help/answers 🙂

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 3:59 AM

To maintain good battery efficiency and life, at least once per month you should use the MBP under battery power alone to about the 40% charge level. Lithium ion batteries need periodic exercise.

Ciao.

9 replies

Sep 30, 2015 8:59 AM in response to aoch88

A rough guide is the battery 'health' which is the maximum charge divided by the designed capacity. Maximum charge will be attained when the charge level reaches 100%. Over the course of time and use this will gradually decline. By Apple standards, if it is 80% or more, the battery is serviceable. If it is below 80%, the battery should be replaced.

Ciao.

Feb 9, 2016 11:48 AM in response to jayliew

Swelling is not common (not exactly rare, but not common). It is caused more by "end of life" than "overcharge". Circuits prevent overcharging.

If your battery is 3 years old, pay attention to the maximum charge amount to know when it is close to 80% of "designed maximum". Apple defines end-of-life as "cannot charge to more than 80% of design". Download "coconut battery" directly from the developer http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/ as some sources may put small adware components.

MacBook Pro 13" 2015 long term clamshell mode; will it damage the battery as it's always on AC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.