Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't activate cellular data network

Recently I've been getting messages on my iPhone 5c saying "can't activate cellular data network," "turn on cellular data," "turn on wi-fi," "cannot get mail," "the mail server imap.mail.att.net is not responding," "verify that you have entered the correct account info" even though I have a strong cellular connection and wi-fi is turned on.

I was out of the country recently, and switched sim cards while I was away. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe I had this problem before doing so.

Thanks,

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 7:30 AM

Even though you are getting these messages, does the phone function as it should? Cellular data is working, email is OK, you can connect to the Internet? If all of those things do work, it might be related to having changed SIMS, but having never done that myself, I can't say for sure. I can say that there have been some weird things going on with Apple servers over the last week or so - at least from what I have exerienced.

I don't know if you have tried this, but it doesn't hurt anything and it sort of "clears the cobwebs" and it might get rid of the messages that you are getting. Force restart your phone. Hold down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2015 7:30 AM in response to EricWeir

Even though you are getting these messages, does the phone function as it should? Cellular data is working, email is OK, you can connect to the Internet? If all of those things do work, it might be related to having changed SIMS, but having never done that myself, I can't say for sure. I can say that there have been some weird things going on with Apple servers over the last week or so - at least from what I have exerienced.

I don't know if you have tried this, but it doesn't hurt anything and it sort of "clears the cobwebs" and it might get rid of the messages that you are getting. Force restart your phone. Hold down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

Sep 27, 2015 7:36 AM in response to Demo

Thanks, Demo. No, the phone doesn't work as it should. I get "no internet connection." Mail and Facebook won't update.

Something weird happened while I was out of the country on the other sim. I thought my phone had died. holding down the start/on-off button at the top had no effect. Fortunately there was someone--more than one someone actually--who knew about force start. I'll give it a try again.

Are you in Pittsburgh? I went to high school and college there. My daughter's still there. My son in-law is "the Camera Guy" for the Pirates and the Steelers.

Sep 27, 2015 8:43 AM in response to EricWeir

I Believe that contacting the carrier makes sense at this point

Yes, I live in Pittsburgh and believe it or not I remember a conversation that we had here in the past. It was several years ago. IIRC, you are originally from the hilltop in Verona. I still live in Penn Hills.

I envy your son-in-law! I would love to be the "camera guy" for both sports teams.

Sep 27, 2015 12:36 PM in response to Demo

The problem persists, but I haven't contacted the provider yet.

Something else that's strange--or i imagine it's strange: settings/cellular shows 14.5 GB of cellular data usage, though the provider's website shows far less than that. One day was 221 MB; other days average well under 4 or 5 MB of usage. If my provider doesn't think I'm using too much data, I doubt the 14.5 number suggests a possible problem. But what does that number mean?

Yes, I remember now the conversation we had. I had just acquired an iPad and was troubled by the fact that it's not possible to update the spellcheck dictionary. And my son-in-law loves his job. He wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sep 27, 2015 1:34 PM in response to EricWeir

That setting on my iPhone shows 8.2 GB of data usage in less than two days. I am not sure what it means, especially after reading this.

Learn about cellular data settings and usage on your iPhone and iPad (Cellular Model) - Apple Support

Copied from that article.

Current Period under Cellular Data Usage is an accumulation of your data used since the last time the stats were reset. You can tap Reset Statistics at the bottom of the screen.

It does state that it is the data used since "the last time the stats were reset" so apparently that will build up unless you reset it which can be done all the way at the very bottom of that screen below all of the apps and WiFi Assist setting.

I have never used more than 2 GB of data on my Verizon plan in any one monthly billing cycle. I have 4 iPhones and one JetPak MIFI hotspot on the plan. We started out with 8 GB of shared data but we were not using anything close to that, so I cut the data in half about 6 months ago.

I mention this only to reiterate your point that I would not be bothered by what that setting says since the carrier's figure is the one that counts.

Oct 1, 2015 9:29 AM in response to EricWeir

I noticed that the iOS 9.0.2 update included this note: "Fixes an issue with the setting to turn on or off app cellular data usage." Could this possibly re related to the problem I've been experiencing. There's probably a definite answer to that question, but I'll be interested if I continue to experience the problem after the upgrade.

Oct 1, 2015 11:05 AM in response to EricWeir

This particular bug for cellular data was that the setting was being turned off if it was set to on already and it so worked the other way around. The settings would not stay put when set on or if set off. The message that you were getting about turning on cellular data would seem to indicate that there is some correlation, but you are getting so many other messages relating to not being able to connect, that it's hard to say if this would be related, IMO.

Oct 1, 2015 2:58 PM in response to Demo

Yeah, Mail and Facebook wouldn't update even when I had a wi-fi connection. And I encountered the problem mostly, if not entirely, when I was away from home, which is strange. Location, as long as you're within the provider's service area, should make no difference. Perhaps it was just a coincidence.

Oct 13, 2015 3:45 PM in response to EricWeir

Just over a week ago I took the phone to an Apple certified repair shop near my home. They recommended restoring to factory settings before taking the phone to the Apple store. I did that and the problem was solved.

But today I have the problem again. Interestingly, after updating to El Capitan on my MacBook Air a few days after restoring to factory settings, iTunes recognized the phone as a new phone and wanted to restore my settings from backup. I checked to see whether the last backup was after restoring the phone to factory settings. It looked like it was, but there was no other option, so I OK'd restoring from backup. Afterward there were things on my phone, e.g., photos, that should not have been there if the last backup was after restoring to factory settings.

So, I just restored to factory settings again and cellular data service is back again. I hope I'll be able to back the current settings, post restoration of factory settings, to iTunes so this doesn't happen again.

Oct 14, 2015 3:03 AM in response to EricWeir

HI Eric:

I have been following along, but havent responded for a number of reasons, including the fact that I have been dealing with some medical issues lately. In any event, you do not have to worry about that red banner with the "User Grayn280 is banned from posting content" issue. That is a Jive Software issue that has been going on for months and months here in ASC. Many of us see that from time to time. The hosts are well aware of the bug and engineering has been working on it forever. I don't know it it will ever be fixed, but rest assured you have not been hacked.

Can't activate cellular data network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.