Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s Camera Quality

Not my first iPhone and I'm taking a lot of pictures with phone but the quality of new iPhone 6s is so bad..It's also bad in light when finding focus and all colors are so unnatural. All photos on Mac look even worse. Had a look at my photos taken with iPhone 5s and the look so much better.

My questions are:

can it be faulty camera?

anybody have same problem?

User uploaded file

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 10:48 AM

37 replies

Oct 4, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Robotas

Do you have the "Live Photo" option turned on? Bad Low-Light photos have been linked to the Live Photo option. Make sure you turn that off by tapping the circle up top and making sure it's WHITE and not YELLOW.

Are you using the option to "Optimize iPhone Storage" in Settings > Photos & Camera? That makes it so when your phone is low on storage it will store low resolution versions of photos on the phone, and store the high resolution originals in iCloud. So if your storage is low and you're viewing your photos off the phone, and posting them here using your phone (which your signature suggests), then it's not the full resolution version.

But honestly it just looks like a badly taken photo. The iPhone camera is known as a "point-and-shoot" but in reality requires a bit more finesse, proper angle, and proper lighting to take great photos. The lens is the size of a pea and you seem to be expecting the quality you get on a dedicated camera 100x the size. You're not a professional photographer if you're using an iPhone so you shouldn't expect professional quality no matter what the marketing tells you. (You said you're not that stupid, so I'd hope you aren't expecting the quality of the example photos in the press releases)

Quick shots of your cat in bad lighting aren't going to look that great. But step outside in the natural sunlight and it takes amazing photos for the size of the lens and it also surpasses every other phone in low-light situations. In the photo you took it definitely needs more lighting like an open window or something. Anything better and you're going to need to invest in a nice SLR camera or start taking photography classes.

Oct 2, 2017 8:52 AM in response to Robotas

I Turned off Live Photos, enabled and disable HDR, I even toggled the 3D touch (it's a new feature and I have to try everything). Nothing works. The camera is crap. I tried my 'goto' app for picture enhancements too. It's the camera. I feel like I paid for a premium phone and got an entry level phone.

Oct 4, 2015 11:24 AM in response to nemesis4670

I have awards for taking pictures with iPhone. I know how to take photos, also I take pictures with DSL. So no need to talk to me like newbie. I Just want to know is this faulty camera on my new iPhone or its just problem with camera noise reduction because theres a lots of complains about camera from the release of iPhone 6. Maybe its iOS problems but so far it seems its focus problems.

Some pictures taken with iPhone 5s. It's has less noise in low lights than pictures taken with iPhone 6s
User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 4, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Robotas

My intention wasn't to talk to you like a newbie. But the photo you provided just looks like you walked up to your cat and hit the snap button. But wow I didn't know there were awards for taking photos with an iPhone. That's cool. I guess I didn't figure that because there's not really much you can tinker with on an iPhone to really be considered "professional" photos. I've always been impressed at the pictures for an iPhone but never in general versus a real dedicated SLR.

However... the photos from your iPhone 5 are definitely way better SHOT than what you just showed as an example of your iPhone 6S camera. The iPhone 6S photo you posted seemed like a quick pic and you're comparing it to shots that are clearly well prepared shots that are post-produced with Photoshop. Both photos have noise in them. One is using manufactured lighting and the other is natural sunlight which are two factors that MAJORLY improve photo quality. How about you take a photo with the same preparation and work you did with those photos you just posted and see if we can compare that? At the very least go outside in sunlight and take a photo similar to the 2nd photo.

Are you also tapping on the screen to set the focus manually? Always works better for me. I even use a mini-tripod and lock the focus myself.

Oct 4, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Robotas

Literally just walked outside, walked up to a flower in my backyard, and snapped this photo in 2 seconds. That's the quality you should expect. LIGHTING IS KEY!

I also linked the FULL RES version because this forum only allows up to 2MB and 12MP is bigger than that (which if you posted your photo then yours must be compressed version also like I assumed)

FULL RESOLUTION VERSION - http://i.imgur.com/m8LPjIx.jpg?1

User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2015 12:44 PM in response to nemesis4670

Ok its for mobile photography...

And yes iPhone 5s photos are edited with apps on iPhone. iPhone 6s picture was taken with taping to focus on the cat head.

My wife has iPhone 5 and we tried to take some pictures with both phones this weekend. No edit. Don't even need the full rez to see the diference just push on the photo to open it.

Some samples:

iPhone 6s

User uploaded file

iPhone 5

User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2015 12:59 PM in response to Robotas

Those two pics look pretty similar...both look not that great honestly. (Kind of grainy) But thats because you're posting compressed images. But also the iPhone 6S photo must be compressed and shrunken to be the same size as the 5S photos. As the 6S is 12 megapixel and the 5S is only 8 megapixel. Yet the images are the same size. Host the originals on imgur.com

Compressing images changes image quality severely. So you should have to post full res versions for a proper comparison.

I'm not a photographer and never won any awards and I took that photo of the flower. Yours is better because you understand taking photos better. But if I spent a little more time I could take a photo 10x better than what I took obviously. But I was just making a point that I didn't have to do much to get a pretty good photo. So if your phone is not able to produce a photo like that with little effort then maybe your lens is faulty like you suspected.

LOW LIGHT photos are better than most phones on an iPhone but are never going to look amazing. I mostly take photos outdoors and sometimes I take photos of items to sell on eBay. For those photos I always go in a well lighted room to get good quality shots and it's been that way from the iPhone 4S and every model since then. But like I said... did you turn off "LIVE PHOTO" as this is a well known cause for bad low-light photos on the 6S?

Oct 4, 2015 1:12 PM in response to nemesis4670

Yeah its off. I only tried couple of times on first day with iPhone 🙂 Im just a big fan of phone photography and was upgrading from iPhone 5s and my expectations about new camera was big... Thats why its so disappointing. In my country new iPhone will start selling in October 9 th Its oppurtunitie to test iPhone 6s camera in stores with demo phones. But otherwise like for others its not turning off... 🙂

iPhone 6s Camera Quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.