Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s speaker quality

I don't know if it's just me but the speaker's sound quality on the iPhone 6s is much less clear than on the iPhone 6, for example, the iPhone 6 has a more rich treble and sounds more clear, unlike the 6s. My iPhone 6 speaker is also louder than the iPhone 6s. Do you think this is a defect with my 6s?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1, null

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 1:29 PM

24 replies

Sep 29, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Diandi C.

I am also concerned about this. I had the old iPhone 5 (not s or c) before and the speaker was clearer. I had just assumed that the 6s would be better quality since it's two versions upgraded but it sounds bad, like distorting sound quality at a volume of 75% - which is louder than the iphone 5 was, but distorting when the audio 'peaks'.

I listen to a lot of podcasts on speaker phone and the quality was definitely better on the 5.

Sep 29, 2015 1:14 PM in response to thebstring

I've been waiting for someone to post about this. I believe that there is something fishy here.

I write music for video, and in today's world, many people view those videos on their phone. Because of this, I always check mixes/audio I work on using the iPhone. I upgraded to the iPhone 6S on the 27th, and as I'm checking mixes on the new speakers, frequencies are harshly popping that didn't do so on my iPhone 5.

Now, I don't want to lay all the blame on hardware (heck, I might just be a crappy mixer), but things definitely didn't use to be this way.

- Mark

Oct 1, 2015 10:16 PM in response to Diandi C.

I just compared the 6, 6S, and 6S+. The 6S+ is the worst of them all. I also noticed that the camera is better on the 6S than the 6S+!!! The pictures are supposed to be much better because the OIS!!! I can't stand that I find these little things that bother the **** out of me.

The speakers are much different. The 6 has the best speaker out of the 3. It is very loud, clear, and crispy. The 6S sounds crispy but not nearly as loud. the 6S+ sounds HORRID! The trebel is gone and there is no bass on either of the 6S' now compared to the 6. I am a music producer and engineer and knew right away that there was a difference. This is so ridiculous. And, the camera BS is ridiculous too. There's nothing better about the 6S+ camera at all because it's worse. I'm disgusted...

Not to mention when you hold down the home button there is no more beep (which I know they swithed to a nice subtle vibration) and no more vibration! My 6 still vibrates when you hold down the home button to launch Siri, but not on the 6S'. I talked to Apple and they admitted it was an issue that they are hoping to fix in the next update (9.0.2) which they didn't do... I feel like Apple rushed this phone out and didn't pay attention to quality this time. It is horse sh*t.

Oct 2, 2015 6:02 AM in response to Diandi C.

I also had the same problem with iPhone 6s plus, so we took it to the store last night and they said that the speaker is indeed bad. They replaced it with another piece, but alas the new one also has the same problem, and we noticed it after reaching home.

We will be visiting the store again I guess. Was using the iPhone 5c before and would say, it never had any such issues.

Oct 2, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Diandi C.

My iphone 6s was pre-ordered and received on the 25th with the same exact problem, "speaker distortion". Mine felt like the speaker would blow at any moment. So I decided to do my research and found out that it was a problem for some people, as you described it and as I experienced it.. I called apple care, they gave me case number, and made me an appointment to have checked. I was at the apple store for 15 minutes and not 1, but 2 techs found the speaker to be bad. They suggested to return the pre order and purchase a new. The new one works like it should! 🙂 My advice is, don't waste time...no software update will fix a HARDWARE issue. If you goto to the store and buy another one with the same problem, then tell them to get another, until you find one that is satisfactory! Good luck!🙂

Oct 9, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Diandi C.

Update!

I made an appointment with the genius bar and they told me nothing was wrong with it. I tried to tell him that I have been an audio engineer before and I'm not crazy - the speaker clearly is being overdriven in the lower-mid range audio peaks. They didn't believe me. He took it in the back and tried listening to different things - podcasts, music, etc. - and had a bunch of people listen to it. They said it sounded fine.

I insisted that the speaker in the iPhone 5 did not behave this poorly but they didn't believe me.

Now I have to get a bluetooth speaker or something just to listen to podcasts without cringing.

Dang.

Oct 9, 2015 5:30 PM in response to thebstring

Same here!

Took the phone in to have it checked, even played back audio that made the speaker totally **** out. They tested it using a speaker test device and said all was working as intended.

Honestly though, I don't think the techs care enough to fix or evaluate the issue. It's pretty much check with a device to make sure all is fine and send you on your way. There really is nothing they can do either. Even if something is wrong, employees are paid to follow protocol - assist with known issues until enough people have complained about it.

iPhone 6s speaker quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.