Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bare with me - I need help with my crashed mac.

Hello,

I was using my Mac a couple of weeks ago - it had been running a little slow, and all of the sudden, it crashed and I got a weird screen. I restarted the computer, and when it came back up, there was a file with a question mark icon. Through research, I was able to determine that I needed to restart in recovery mode, and then I reformatted the disk using disk utility and was able to reinstall the operating system. It seemed to be working fine, but when I went to update the operating system it reverted to into Yosemite, it had crashed again.

At this point, when I try to use disk utility, it keeps getting stuck when I reformat on "Partitioning. Estimated time: x minutes", with the amount of minutes forever-increasing. Is there any other way for me to reformat the drive just so I can get the operating system installed again? I did check the hardware and it said there are no problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 2:40 PM

7 replies

Oct 3, 2015 7:40 PM in response to facetiousapple

"Partitioning. Estimated time: x minutes", with the amount of minutes forever-increasing.

If you did not deliberately specify Security Erase options, a standard erase and partition takes about a quarter minute. Security Erase with Zeroing the drive takes all afternoon to overnight. 35-pass takes several days.

Based on the other troubles you are having, your Hard Drive sounds like it should be replaced under warranty. If you have had the unit for 14 days or less, and you got it direct from Apple, you can exchange it for a new one. Otherwise, a drive swap is an in-store repair, typically overnight.

Now you understand in a visceral way why you need a Trusted Backup. Be sure you have a way to make one. A drive at least three times the size of your Internal drive is ideal, and if you are using Time Machine, it can be an inexpensive slow USB drive.

"Unified" Drives -- 'where Drive and enclosure are one and a standard, replaceable drive has not been used' seem to be far more trouble prone than ordinary, replaceable drives inside an enclosure.

Bare with me - I need help with my crashed mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.