Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How come our apple watches show different distances

How are we supposed to trust the Apple Watch fitness and activity apps when there are such huge differneces of measures.

My wife and I set off together on a walk. Having both just got up that morning and put on our watches.

Yet my watch records 5.2 miles and hers records 4.7 miles
We walked exactly the same distance.
This is a permanent issue. How can we change and calibrate them to record correctly.

Lev.

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 4:15 PM

Hi

To reset your calibration data:

On your iPhone in the Apple Watch app, go to: My Watch > General > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > tap on Reset Calibration Data.

Then calibrate both watches by following the instructions here:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

16 replies

Sep 27, 2015 5:00 PM in response to KevSully

Hi

The calibration process calibrates the accelerometer to improve the accuracy of distance and other estimations provided by the Activity and Workout apps.

Calibration helps Apple Watch to learn your stride length. It does this by combining knowledge of how you move with knowledge of actual distances covered (using the Location Services / GPS feature on your iPhone).

This is why it is preferable to do calibration activities on flat terrain - to make the GPS-based measurement of actual distance covered as accurate as possible.

It is also important to calibrate at each of the speeds at which you typically walk, run or jog. This helps the watch to more accurately estimate your differing stride lengths at each respective speed.

Oct 14, 2015 2:16 PM in response to KevSully

Hi Kev

Unless you each walked over 4.17 miles (> 6,710 meters) side by side in a perfectly straight line, it is unlikely that you walked the same distance. For example, on a 400m IAAF standard track, without using a staggered start, over the course of one lap a runner in lane two would cover 7.038 more meters than a runner in lane one (1.76% further).

You asked why the Activity app and Workout app showed different results. The Activity app relies on arm motion (interpreted by the accelerometer) to track movement. The Workout app can use the accelerometer and GPS data from your iPhone (when GPS is available).

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Whenever you take your (suitably configured) iPhone along during Outdoor Walk and/or Outdoor Run workouts, it helps to your watch to improve how it measures distances when GPS data is not available, based on data from the accelerometer.

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Sep 27, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Jonathan UK

I can understand that this calibrates pace, and other unique settings. But this is about the Distance. That is irrelevant to pace.

Does Apple calculte distance by GPS or by number of steps and therefore needs to have an accurate 'step' length.
The steps outlined in the Apple Calibration , present no ability to actually put in an average 'length of step' as FITBIT allows.
Or am I missing something ?
Seems to me that DISTANCE is pure guess work.

Sep 27, 2015 5:55 PM in response to KevSully

Kev,

GPS is actually quite coarse in resolution. Depending on the device, GPS measurements can give good results for the distance from London to Los Angeles, while still being quite inaccurate when measuring distance walked by a human, particularly when the path is not perfectly straight. Thus, Pace is very important, and calibrating Pace will give you more accurate results

Oct 11, 2015 7:02 AM in response to KevSully

FFollow up question

ssince there is no "calibrate" setting , the calibration process is basically an activity such as a walk, with the motion and calibration feature turned on on the iPhone. So, should this be turned off once calibration is complete. ?

else surelay every activity is both recording and calibrating.

Its not as if you are telling the watch "calibrate now"

Oct 11, 2015 7:11 AM in response to KevSully

Hi Kev

No - there is no need to turn anything off. As the article explains, whenever you walk or run outside using your iPhone and the Workout app, the watch will continue to calibrate the accelerometer, which should help to further improve its accuracy over time.

Use the Workout app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2015 12:31 PM in response to KevSully

So... Continue to be baffled
WIfe and I went for a walk. Side by side. Same watches. Iphones carried with us.
Set an "Activity" as "Outdoor Walk" and a goall of 30 minutes. Although we walked a lot more.

Nothing to strenuous... but the differences in the numbers are surprising. My wife feels robbed of distance :-).

In calculating STEPS and MILES from the Activity App. I took the settings at the start of the walk and at the end and am showing the distance....
Ridiculous that the WORKOUT and the Overal ACTIVITY show different values of distance . HOW ?????

Or is 4.28 miles not actually decimal version of miles

Date Kev Ange Difference
WORKOUT WALK
Time 01:07:53 01:07:44
Distance 4.28 4.17 0.11 = 177 METRES DIFFERENCE
Pace 15:50 16:12
ACTIVITY APP
Steps 7639 8030 391
Miles 4.37 4.23 0.14 = 225 METRES DIFFERENCE

We will continue to calibrate but .... it doesnt make sense.

Kev

Nov 1, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Thanks.
We vary the position from side by side to one in front to the other in front etc. since we walk the same narrow country path and canal path. More usual to be behind or in front of eachother. Anyway point taken on the side by side distance, I do understand that... but seriously... its stretching it a bit... 200 Meters on same footpath, Impressive difference.

130 metres difference in the walks today. So the difference appears to be dropping.

4.21 Miles (down from 4.28) v's 4.28 (up from 4.17)

100M difference over 4 miles isnt worth quibbling about. . So I'll say no more.

re Calibrating.

Its not really required as a separate function is it.

As per prev comments, since there is no "Start calibrating" option the watch/Phone must always be "calibrating" so there is surely little point in the calibrating being defined as a separate function, as outlined in the article.

Or is there ? If so .. why exactly.
eg. If there is an actual 'calibration' process. Then once completed, what features can be turned OFF without effecting use of the ACTIVITY and WORKOUT apps ?

Nov 1, 2015 8:34 AM in response to KevSully

You're welcome.

KevSully wrote:

re Calibrating.

Its not really required as a separate function is it.

As per prev comments, since there is no "Start calibrating" option the watch/Phone must always be "calibrating" so there is surely little point in the calibrating being defined as a separate function, as outlined in the article.

Or is there ? If so .. why exactly.

Calibration can help to improve the accuracy of various estimations in both the Workout and Activity apps (including distance, pace, calories, Move and Exercise).

However, some people may not use the Workout app at all as part of their regular routines. Others may use it, but not to record Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run activities.

It can therefore be helpful to define calibration and explain the circumstances under which it takes place (ie walking or running outside with the required settings on Apple Watch, the Workout app and the paired iPhone).

Nov 26, 2015 11:47 AM in response to Jonathan UK

For the record.
So it's now down to 45Mtr difference. Recently we walked 50% with me in front and 50% with her in front. Thus eliminating the 'outside lane effect'.
And its still 45Mtr difference. So its getting close but still gives me little confidence.

And re Calibration> So its Confirmed that its a pointless 'activity' since it is always calibrating if certain functions are turned on. I am baffled why Apple fake a 'process' when all they need to do is treat us like reasonabley intelligent people and say.....
"Apple is always calibrating but it is more effective during walking or runnign outside"

But thanks...

Nov 26, 2015 2:01 PM in response to KevSully

It is incorrect to say that Apple Watch is "always calibrating but it is more effective during walking or runnign outside".

To reiterate: calibration occurs only when the paired iPhone is carried (with the appropriate settings enabled) whilst also recording an Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run workout via the Workout app on Apple Watch:

How come our apple watches show different distances

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.