Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you make videos with an old iSight camera?

Picked up an old external iSight camera at a flea market. Works great on my PowerBook G4 17 inch. tested it by using video preview in iChat, but how do I make actual videos with it? Is there some type of program that I need or is there a built in program?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 5:17 PM

1 reply

Sep 28, 2015 8:59 AM in response to Matthewlopez

Matthewlopez wrote:...old external iSight ... Works ..using video preview in iChat, but how do I make actual videos with it? ...

Connect your old, working iSight to your Mac OS X (10.5.8) Mac via Firewire cable and turn it on. The iSight will then work to record video using apps like iMovie or QuickTime7 Pro. A working external iSight will show up in the same video import selector as internal iSights do for Macs that have inbuilt cameras. If you need other features, you can also search the web for third party apps that may be compatible with your system and able to capture video.

For other readers, or if you use an iNtel Mac in addition to your G4 (PPC) Mac, current Mac OS X versions (OS X 9 Mavericks and OS X 10 Yosemite) also allow video recording using the included QuickTime (version 10) Player and Photo Booth apps.

Note that your old external Firewire connected iSight can be troubled by system hardware and / or software conflicts. Should you encounter such conflicts and can resolve them no other way, Mac compatible USB connected webcams do not suffer these possible conflicts.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.5

Can you make videos with an old iSight camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.