Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps crashing after upgrading to 9.0.1

[Repost of earlier report, that got truncated]

Since I upgraded my phone to iOS 9.0.1, I've had trouble with apps crashing. (I'm using an iPhone 6, and it's paired with an Apple watch, if that matters.)

The behavior:

• Every once in a while, the phone starts behaving poorly. The keyboard and touch screen respond very slowly--e.g. I'll be typing and the keyboard won't respond, then a bunch of letters will all show up at once (so it's registering the touches, but handling them slowly).
  • After a little bit of this, the app I'm in crashes and I go back to the home screen--there's usually half a second or so of black before I see the home screen. (This happens with any kind of app--I've specifically noticed it with the built-in apps Safari, Messages, Music, and Podcasts.)
  • Once this crash happens, all apps behave badly. If I try to open an app it's likely to load very slowly and then crash me back to the home screen. Sometimes the phone will be unresponsive for a few seconds, then show me the apple loading screen, then take me to the lock screen.
  • Killing an app (by going to the task switcher and swiping it up) does not fix things. Rebooting the phone does help--but the problem comes back after a while.

The phone is basically unusable to me now. For example, I just went on a three hour walk where I was doing nothing with the phone except listening to a podcast and tracking the walk with my Apple watch--and the phone crashed this way four times. If I try to multitask (e.g. listen to audio while switching to another app) the crash is much more likely to occur.

I tried doing a full reset to factory settings and restoring from a backup, and it didn't solve the problem.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1, Paired with Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 6:56 PM

6 replies

Sep 29, 2015 4:41 PM in response to Shoutingboy

Exact same problems as you guys. Typing lags and then the app crashes. Also all of my apps are requiring that I sign in each time I open them. My App Store says I have 5 updates, loads for a second when I open it, and tells me all apps are updated but when I close the store and open it again it's the same status. Really hoping these glitches get fixed soon - I was having no problems with 9.0 and updated to 9.0.1 because it said it was fixing glitches.

Oct 1, 2015 5:48 AM in response to Shoutingboy

I was excited to see the update out this morning. I ran it as soon as I woke up and had no problems with the upgrade process. On my way into work listening to streaming music through Apple radio via carplay the app crashed three separate times. I came into the office and tried to reply to an email from the iphone and there was constant lag in typing.

*** Apple, I am going to throw this phone out the window. I am an IT director and I often recommend iPhones often for the simplicity factor but his is BS and hope that my users don't start coming to me with the same issue (which I'm surprised hasn't happened).

I need my phone to work!!!!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2015 10:50 AM in response to Shoutingboy

[Copied from reply to Original Post.]

A possible solution--I went to the Genius Bar on Friday. The Genius couldn't be sure what the problem was, but she suggested:

1. Removing a work profile I had installed on my device (which I don't currently need), and
  2. Resetting the phone's settings (by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings). Resetting settings doesn't delete apps or data, and it doesn't affect app configuration (including mail/contact/calendar settings), though you do need to go back and re-configure the phone's basic settings.

I did that on Friday, and the phone hasn't crashed yet (including on a two-hour hike yesterday when I was listening to podcasts). I'll put it through its paces again today, and if it keeps not crashing, then maybe I've got it fixed!

(I don't, of course, know whether it was #1 or #2 that fixed the problem, or if it was both.)

iPhone keeps crashing after upgrading to 9.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.