Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large graphic novels crash iBooks in iOS 9

I have been having issues with 2 omnibus graphic novels (over 500 pages) that iBooks in iOS 9 is unable to handle.

After a certain page, if I go to the next page it will crash to the home screen. If my page is set to a higher page, it will crash on open, though if I change the page on a Mac and let it sync, it will load the earlier page.

I have tried everything from logging out of iTunes, to side-loading the books from iTunes on my Mac. The issue persists after I restored from an iTunes backup for a different issue. Updating to iOS 9.0.1 increased the page I was able to get to, though after using multitasking while opening the book, it crashed and again crashes on lower pages.

One of the books is a manga (read right to left) and the other is an American graphic novel and either way it crashes on the higher page number.

iPad Air, iOS 9.0.1, iPad Air 2, 64GB, Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 5:16 AM

IOS 9 and it's update ...absolutely DO NOT work on my Ipad for a large image-heavy Ibook. I created a 500 page fixed layout Epub 3 (FXL Epub 3) that seamlessly opens and works in IOS 8. But this new OS won't even OPEN the book. So this is a big problem for authors and readers alike.

Apple....please FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY. There are many graphic novel readers. And nothing is more frustrating than to have something that worked fine....and no longer does in an "improved" upgrade. If you want to see a sample of what is crashing, just ask

Thank you-

Dan Axelrod

IPAD 3 64GB

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2015 5:16 AM in response to Eric Barbosa

IOS 9 and it's update ...absolutely DO NOT work on my Ipad for a large image-heavy Ibook. I created a 500 page fixed layout Epub 3 (FXL Epub 3) that seamlessly opens and works in IOS 8. But this new OS won't even OPEN the book. So this is a big problem for authors and readers alike.

Apple....please FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY. There are many graphic novel readers. And nothing is more frustrating than to have something that worked fine....and no longer does in an "improved" upgrade. If you want to see a sample of what is crashing, just ask

Thank you-

Dan Axelrod

IPAD 3 64GB

Sep 30, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Dan Axelrod

This is the IOS 9 issue—Fixed Layout (FXL) Epub 3 files will NOT work over 400 pages. At 401, they die and the program crashes. There was no such page limit on IOS 8 and the ramifications are huge for graphic novels and many other books using the FXL platform.

Shame on Apple for putting out this horrid release. As an author and publisher, it's forcing me to split books apart unless this gets fixed immediately.

It's also a slap in the face to Adobe Indesign which creates these books and expects them to interface with IBooks.

If this was done intentionally for some reason, please let the public know.

And if this was some technical byproduct of the new OS, please FIX THIS immediately.

Thank you-

Dan Axelrod

Oct 10, 2015 2:58 PM in response to Dan Axelrod

Not sure it's specific to fXL epub ibooks, since installing iOS 9 I had trouble with iBooks memorising the last read pages (on the same iPad, not even talking about syncing) on "large" books (sorry for reading prolific authors) and weird resizings when switching from portrait to landscape.

From the look of the weird resizings I would bet it has something to do with the app getting ready for slide over.

hope it's fixed soon, it's really a pita.

Oct 10, 2015 3:18 PM in response to CMusard

Slide over....

True. It could be resource issue-where they allotted a certain amount to Ibooks and it simply wasn't enough. I just speak from my own experience...which iss not as a reader, but an author with a large FXL ready to take to market, but can't due to Apple's latest "improvement". A senior support rep was clear that the amount of squeaky wheels get's the grease first, so posting bug complaints is the best we can do.

By today, they said I'd have an answer--after sending in detailed logs and video of page 399 good, 400 good, then BOOM....back to a home screen, with no way to now reopen a file Ibooks is trying to open at 401...but can't.

If it indeed is FXL CMUSARD ..., the big frustration is no cookbook or children's books readers will complain-they rarely exceed 400. So it's the graphic novel people...and me...with a book where images, text and multimedia seamlessly integrate in a way that could never be reflowable. I could split it in half and opt for 2 downloads, but there's something nice about having the whole book in one piece.

Let's see what 9.0.3 brings....or 9.1....if they managed to address this in a bigger way-

Dan Axelrod

Oct 10, 2015 3:33 PM in response to Dan Axelrod

I have submitted a detailed bug report, but you are right in that there aren't going to be too many people coming across this issue.

Among the manga I read on iBooks, the vast majority are between 160-210 pages. I have read a bunch of these since iOS 9 came out with 0 issues.

In addition, I remember reading somewhere recently that Amazon and Comixology have about 90% of the eBook comic market, so the rest is split between iBooks, Nook and others.

Oct 10, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Dan Axelrod

Interestingly, the iBook seems to work on my 16gb Pad 2 running 9.0.2. It takes a while to open, but it does open and currently can read past page 400 (currently read up to page 554) without crashing.

fyi, I'm reading The Walking Dead Compendium 2, which is just short of 1100 pages.

iPhone 6 128gb running 9.0.2 won't even open it. All other books work fine (but are significantly smaller.

unfortunately, Compendium 3 only seems to be out digitally on iBooks, and I'm hesitant to buy due to this issue...

Large graphic novels crash iBooks in iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.