Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos show up as "other"

When I sync my phone and try to put all the folders of photos that I want to on my phone, after syncing, my "other" goes from 600 MB to almost 4GB. If I remove the photos, it goes back to normal.

I can add one folder at a time, and they stay as "photos" but when I get to a certain point, it changes them to "other." I have tried this in numerous ways. I started with different folders, synced one at a time, or in groups, and it seems to go well until I reach a certain point... but that point varies. It's not the particular folder I am trying to sync at the time, because I have already thought of that and tried syncing that folder first and it has no issues.

Also, once I do get it synced, anytime there is an iOS update, it screws up all my folders. It lists several copies of my folders on my phone and the pictures are scattered all over the place.

I have called Apple Tech support to no avail. I thought the issue might be with my 32 GB 5S as I only had about 5GB free space. Figured I would wait until I get the 64GB 6S Plus which I got this past Friday. This didn't help either.

I uninstalled iTunes, Bonjour, QuickTime, both Application supports (32 and 64bit) and everything else "Apple" on my system. I deleted iPod Photo Cache and went into programs and deleted everything Apple, iTunes, iCloud, Bonjour related. I did a search of everything Apple, iTunes and etc of my Hard Drive and deleted everything found (yes, I restarted computer after every step).

I even "set phone up as new" and didn't restore from a back up. Still same thing. Photos eventually start registering as "other" on the storage space in iTunes. When checking phone usage, my photos show up as "photos" on the phone. On iTunes, if I mouse over the photos, it shows I have 6000 something photos but am only using 500 MB... My "other" goes to around 4-5 GB.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know of a fix that I haven't tried? The last Apple guy I spoke with said not to worry about it and that it's a problem with iTunes. However, I don't want to have to redo my photos everytime there is an iOS update.

Sorry this is so long, but, I figured I'd explain everything before I get the usual round of questions. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way... Using Windows 7 on an hp Laptop. Same one I have synced all my other iPhones with with no problems. Also, my iPad Mini does not experience same problem.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.0.1, null

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 9:40 PM

2 replies

Oct 4, 2015 12:13 AM in response to 28jracer

Same here. The files are going to Other in PhotoData/Sync. It's a huge bug and the Apple guy should have escalated the issue.

I also found that deleting the sync files means I get lo-res photos on the phone and the iPad. So the Photos app is referencing the originals in the Sync folder which is completely wrong.

Photos show up as "other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.