Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook wifi keep turning on

Quite the reverse wifi problem here. I barley use the wifi since my internet is usb tethered with my iPhone. But still the wifi keep turning on automatically. Sometimes it happen when I connect the phone, sometimes after a reboot. I guess I could just remove the wifi service in network settings but that seems a bit drastic since I occasionally use wifi. Any ideas what this might come from? the problem seem to have started with Yosemite.

thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 11:01 PM

16 replies

Oct 14, 2015 3:32 AM in response to eemiii

Some additional information.

This only happens to me when I turn the machine off then on again (I never use Restart). I also tried it with my Ethernet connected and without, and the problem is the same. I then turned off the option to restart running programs on the shutdown screen, but also had no impact on the problem. Scanned for Malware too, came up clean. My machine is brand new. My old 2010 MBP running Yosemite and as of last week El Capitan never does this.

Oct 14, 2015 4:25 AM in response to eldvatn

I have a ticket open with Apple and it is now with their engineers. These postings have also been put into the tickets, so that they know that it is more than just one machine now. Like you, I mostly use Ethernet at home (faster), but do use WiFi every once in a while. Wonder if the problem is more widespread, but few noticed it because they always have their WiFi on?

Nov 3, 2015 2:44 PM in response to eemiii

Update. Apple Engineers have now been able to reproduce the problem. This means that they still need to figure out what is going on, but when they do, the fix will be placed in an OS update. It may "not" be listed in the update's details, since they believe this is only impacting a small number of users.

We shall see. 😉

Jan 25, 2016 11:25 PM in response to eldvatn

I have a MacbookPro which has been fully updated to 10.11.3 and I have the same issue. I will turn on the computer and find that my wifi has been turned on. I rarely turn wifi on as I have a faster LAN connection I use everyday. This is an odd issue. The fact that Apple engineers several months ago stated they would resolve this issue in a new OS release but NOT make a note of the issue regarding update details seems a bit strange. I think this issue affects many more computers than they think. Please fix this soon Apple!

Mar 29, 2016 2:48 AM in response to Olee

Me, too. Or: Me, three. Or whatever arbitrary number: My MBP 11,2 (Mid 2014) with El Capitan (now OSX 10.11.4) keeps turning on Wi-Fi during reboot.

I'm using my MBP mostly stationary in my office, establishing my network connection through a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. I have a Wi-Fi network available, and I definitely use it occasionally when I walk around with the laptop. However, most of the time I simply turn it off.

I'm one of these oldtimers who tends to shutdown the computer at the end of the day (please spare me comments like "you're using it wrong" 😉), and I wouldn't expect Wi-Fi to turn back on magically during reboot the next morning. I don't really have too many security-related concerns about it – but more about safety: When I'm booting up my MBP on a plane (as rarely as this might take place), I don't really want it to switch on Wi-Fi without my given permission.

… Interestingly enough: My old iMac 12,1 (Mid 2011) at home which is on corded Ethernet at all times does not share the problem: I can switch on and back off Wi-Fi, and it won't be activated during reboot.

My gut feeling tells me that El Capitan really, really, REALLY wants to be on-line, and as the Thunderbolt Ethernet comes up later during the boot process, it simply activates Wi-Fi unaskedly. This is similar to my iMac turning on its formerly deactivated Bluetooth when no corded keyboard or mouse are connected during boot, simply to be able to search for Bluetooth input devices.

MacBook wifi keep turning on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.