Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD's can't play since yosemite update

Super Drive and USB peripheral dvd drive both quit working since update to Yosemite. Clean and unscratched dvd's that play in other devices. Drive spins up then slows down, repeats that about 10 times until it give up and ejects the disk. The drive are accessible in Disk Utility, but no options to repair. Has button to eject etc.

Built-in Super Drive and USB DVD drive both act the same way. The usb drive works on other computers not running Yosemite.

Tried installing the old DVD firmware update that is on the Apple website, but the installer said it is not compatible

Installed all of the Apple software updates

Running a 23" iMac from 2008. Internet search indicates that others with the problem have similar vintage iMacs, 2008 to 2010

Best Regards,

Ellkabong

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 9:16 PM

2 replies

Sep 28, 2015 8:57 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the links

I followed all of it, and the problem persists

It looks like it will require a Yosemite update. But I'm not sure Apple will bother to support 5 to 7 year old hardware.

I don't blame them. Optical media is obsolete and nobody would use it anymore were it not for movie copyright holders not releasing their content in any other form.

DVD's can't play since yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.