Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This Apple ID is already being used with a different membership

Recently transitioned from iPhone 6 that was taking advantage of Telstra's 12 Month Apple Music trial to an iPhone 6s with a 24-month Apple Music subscription (via Telstra).

While the Apple Music subscription has been confirmed by Telstra as active and I can also confirm that I am able to play music, the For You section will not allow me to sign in with my Apple ID. As per screenshots below, I receive a message "This Apple ID is already being used with a different membership."with no guidance on what I am supposed to do next.

I have raised this issue with both Telstra and Apple support, no one seems to know how to resolve this issue. Searching the web and support forums doesn't show any other users hitting this type of error.

Can anyone assist?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 12:56 AM

14 replies

Sep 28, 2015 1:15 AM in response to tayganr

Would seem to me, the issue may be due to your previous contract iPhone 6 and its

association with your Apple ID. And the problem may be with the service provider...

That is where I'd hope to find someone who can see the main problem is likely due

to the new product displacing an older one, and using your name & Apple ID.

Apple says this:

Re: how many devices are you allowed on a single membership to Apple Music

• Manage your Apple Music membership - Apple Support

Too bad there's a contract involved.

Sometimes, if given a different choice in service

provider, to take it or leave -- the latter is best.

Good luck in discovering who will admit they're responsible. Ask if you will be billed

for the lack of useful purpose, and see if you have any leverage with Telstra... 😐

Sep 30, 2015 1:39 AM in response to K Shaffer

I have the exact same issue. I've spent over 10hrs between Telstra and Apple staff trying to resolve it. Bottom line is it's an issue with Telstra, all they need to do is remove the association with your original subscription to your Apple ID. Finding someone within Telstra with the ability is where the problem lies. I have a formal complaint case with them that should see this elevated to someone that can resolve it. im seeking compensation for the ridiculous loss of time trying to reolve an issue created and owned by them. I'll update here once it's sorted

Oct 1, 2015 8:48 PM in response to tayganr

Wow you do not know how much of a relief it is to find someone else with the same issue! i too have also spent hours with Apple and Telstra and no one can work out the issue. Now that i your helpful information 77runuts77 i will go back to Telstra and push the case to them to remove the existing association with my apple ID.

Please let me know how you go and i will report back with my progress!

Hopefully together this will make Telstra wake up to the issue

Oct 1, 2015 10:31 PM in response to tayganr

Quick update... been bouncing back and fourth between Apple and Telstra support. My case on the Apple side recently escalated to senior product support who has been engaging with Telstra directly on my behalf. Telstra's "SME's" have been in contact with me earlier today and have advised that they should be in a position to provide an update this afternoon.

It does definitely seem to be a problem on the Telstra side (from Apple's perspective my Apple ID doesn't even show up to have an active Apple Music subscription, it's all controlled by Telstra if done via the carrier). While Telstra's My Account page shows only one active subscription there is obviously some conflict with the previous trial.

Oct 1, 2015 11:22 PM in response to tayganr

Just got off the phone with Telstra's Mobile Assurance Technical Support who are currently the lead on my case. They have confirmed that in Telstra's back end systems they can see there are two subscriptions associated with my single Apple ID even though Telstra's My Account page only shows one.

They are working with Billing to see how the older subscription can be removed. I've been advised that they will be working on this behind the scenes and with the weekend my next update will be on Monday.

Oct 2, 2015 1:22 AM in response to tayganr

Wonder if they'll be good enough to at least correct your billings to reflect the lack-of-use

the Telstra system has caused you; since it would appear a refund or reduction in cost to

you would be in order....

The word 'case worker' could be used to imply they're working on you instead of their service.

If so, when your funds dry up -- you'll be considered 'cured' by their practical estimation.

Some regions or countries have issues with rolling out support for newer technologies, so

maybe it's just a matter of them gearing up to support newer demands on their services.

Good luck in any event...! 🙂

Oct 4, 2015 3:35 AM in response to K Shaffer

I too am having the same problem but here's my story...

I have been in touch with Telstra and Apple regarding issues I'm having with my Apple Music subscription.

I went in and got 2 iPhone 6S phones on launch day - one for me and one for my wife. We both have the same plan which offered a free 12 month subscription with each phone. We also have always shared the same Apple ID with our iPhones for years as it means we only had to pay once. I've been able to get Apple Music working on this Apple ID with no problems and have it working on my wifes iPhone. Initially I made the mistake of signing in with the same Apple ID on my iPhone and soon realised that two devices cant use it simultaneously.

I have since created a new Apple ID in an attempt to seperate Apple Music from both iPhones so we can each use our provided subscription separately. I've just now followed the instructions to type in https://itunes.apple.com/carrier[1] into Safari on my iPhone - this opens up the Apple Music app where by it gives me a prompt to login with my Apple ID. I type in my Apple ID and get an error 'This membership is already being used with a different Apple ID' .

Just thought I'd share my experience too - Im keen as to start using this service and am 3 weeks into owning this new phone and really havent been able to use it properly. I did notice that if I am logged out of the Apple Music app I can stream music fine but obviously can't make music available offline etc.

Oct 8, 2015 12:56 AM in response to tayganr

tayganr - I'm in exactly the same position as you (ie went from a 6 to 6s with Telstra and prior to the upgrade had a 12 month Apple subscription and was using it fine).

While I haven't spent as much time contacting support as you have, I have spoken to both Apple and Telstra. Telstra initially blamed Apple and Apple said that it is a common problem they are looking into though they have kept me in the dark. It was only after persistently explaining the issue to the last Telstra rep I spoke to that he changed his approach and admitted that both Telstra and Apple are investigating and that, once a solution was found, an email will be sent to Telstra customers. He couldn't give an ETA for the fix.

Regardless of which company is causing the problem, given how heavily Telstra is advertising Apple Music on its iPhone 6s plans, it is essential that they investigate this issue and find a fix ASAP. I will be putting pressure on them by posting on their FB and Twitter pages until they fix the problem.

Oct 23, 2015 3:01 PM in response to bongo173

Hey bongo173 - I solved the problem by removing, then re-adding the Apple Music subscription using my Telstra online account access. I had to restart and reset my iPhone in order for the re-added subscription to take effect.

I am disappointed that Apple did not get back to me despite the fact they said they would. At least it's working now for me now I suppose 🙂

Oct 23, 2015 4:20 PM in response to tayganr

Hi All,

While I had basically given up on this issue getting resolved as no one from Telstra was actively keeping in contact with me about any progress that was happening behind the scenes. I did notice at some point something must have changed in the back end as my Apple Music application was treating my Apple ID as an expired subscription that can still listen to music stations but limited to 6 skips per hour and the occasional iAd.

That said, this morning I did the following and everything now seems to finally be working!

1. Tap on 'My Music' within the Apple Music application

2. Tap on the profile icon in the top left corner

3. Tap sign out

4. Sign back in

5. Go back to the 'For You' section and you should see the normal Continue to sign in screen

This time when I went through the For You screen I wasn't being kicked out in an endless loop. The last step was to go back into Settings > Music and toggle on iCloud Music Library

This Apple ID is already being used with a different membership

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.