Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore/find recently downloaded videos and newly created albums in Photos after merging with iPhoto app?

I downloaded all my videos and photos from my GoPro using Photos (this was the default app that popped up when I hooked the GoPro). Immediately after downloading and creating albums, I merged the iPhoto app with Photos and could not find anything I downloaded, not even the albums I created. Unfortunately, I deleted all the files from the GoPro. I would appreciate any help and feedback. Thank you so much!

iMac 9.1 27", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 5:16 AM

Immediately after downloading and creating albums, I merged the iPhoto app with Photos and could not find anything I downloaded, not even the albums I created.

Photos does not merge libraries. If you opened your iPhoto Library after importing into Photos, the Photos.app will have created a new library. Try to switch back to the first library.

Quit Photos, then launch it again, but hold down the options key while clicking the Photos icon. Keep holding down the options key until you are seeing the Library Chooser panel. is there more than one library listed? Try, if you can find a different Photos library with your GoPro import.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2015 5:16 AM in response to jaxters

Immediately after downloading and creating albums, I merged the iPhoto app with Photos and could not find anything I downloaded, not even the albums I created.

Photos does not merge libraries. If you opened your iPhoto Library after importing into Photos, the Photos.app will have created a new library. Try to switch back to the first library.

Quit Photos, then launch it again, but hold down the options key while clicking the Photos icon. Keep holding down the options key until you are seeing the Library Chooser panel. is there more than one library listed? Try, if you can find a different Photos library with your GoPro import.

Sep 28, 2015 5:31 AM in response to jaxters

My follow-up question is: how do I make sure that this is the "default" library and all the future downloads will be secure and automatically save on this library?

Photos will always open the last library you opened, when you launch Photos. To be sure, that Photos will open your main library, when you connect your camera, launch Photos before you connect the camera by double-clicking the library you want to import to.

See this Help page on how to work with multiple Photos Libraries: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/pht6d60b524

How do I restore/find recently downloaded videos and newly created albums in Photos after merging with iPhoto app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.