Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1 - Cannot get mail (Gmail) recurring error

SInce upgrading to an iPhone 6s I have had this error twice. Once running iOS 9.0, and once running iOS 9.0.1.

The full error reads:

Cannot get mail

The mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info into Mail settings.

To resolve it the first time, I deleted my Gmail account from Mail settings. But, I don't want to and should not have to do this as a workaround periodically.

Is anyone else encountering this issue?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 5:04 AM

7 replies

Oct 17, 2015 9:40 AM in response to cuevrojamez

Hello- I'm experiencing the exact issue (works, then stops working, delete and re-add...). Have you gotten a resolution? I actually have two gmail accounts. This seems to be happening with the address that contains two dots/periods. The address was originally set up with two dots in my name on the gmail side, but when I configure it on my phone/mac, I do not include the dots. Does your email address also contain dots/periods?

Nov 21, 2015 5:05 AM in response to cuevrojamez

I have an iphone 6s with the newest iOS too and this issue is really annoying.

In my case the re-creation of gmail account is not necessary.

As a temporary workaround I propose to simply close the mail application. (Double tap the round buttons below the screen, you should see the list of active apps. Simpli find the mail app and swipe your finger on it, from the bottom to the up)

It helps in my case for a day or two

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1 - Cannot get mail (Gmail) recurring error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.