Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office 2016 - 365 Subscription - for Mac - Not a good fit for people who work offline

I recently upgraded from Office 2011 to Office 2016 - 365 - Subscription for Mac.

The only reason I upgraded was I wanted a paid version of OneNote because I had been told that if you have a paid version you can use it offline. Turns out that's only partially true. You can use it offline but you can't create a new notebook and if you close a notebook (not just the program) while offline it will take any notes you added while offline and dump them in a miscellaneous folder. I work offline a lot. This is not good.

In addition to OneNote being a huge disappointment Word (the program I use most often) keeps telling me it needs me to be connected to the internet so it can verify my subscription. I am not connected to the internet all the time. In fact most of the time, when I'm using Word (when I'm writing) I am not connected to the internet. The only time I'm connected to the internet is when I want to watch movies, shop, do research for writing, or check my email (I mostly use my phone to check emails).

I never liked the idea of having to pay a yearly fee to use Office but I opted for it to save a little bit of money. HOWEVER having the program constantly telling me to connect to the internet so it can verify my subscription bothers me.It bothers me so much I am thinking about uninstalling 365 and going back to 2011- which I own and am not just renting.

I can see Microsoft wanting to know how often they could bother me to verify my subscription before it was too much. My answer to that is,don't bother me until the end of the year, and don't bother me when I'm offline.

ALSO - My new Mac Book Pro with Retina has slowed it's start-up (by a lot) since installing 365. Before installing 365 it started up lighting quick.

I wish Pages was a better program for writing - If it was I would just use that and never use another Microsoft product again. For example, I write long documents and the Navigation Pane in Word helps me stay organized. I also wish Mac would create a note taking software like OneNote that lived on your computer and didn't need to be connected to the internet. A lot of users of those programs don't need their notebooks available on on their devices. A lot of users (me included) just need their notebooks on one device.

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 6:39 AM

1 reply

Sep 28, 2015 6:57 AM in response to writer2

You can purchases Office 2016 for Mac (home and student) for a one-time cost of $149. See right-hand column of

https://products.office.com/en-us/buy/compare-microsoft-office-products?tab=omac

You do not what the subscription Office 365 which includes Office 365 since, as you said, it is a yearly subscription.

If you get Office 2016 just purchases the download code on-line. If you order the "kit" all you get is a box with the download code,

Office 2016 - 365 Subscription - for Mac - Not a good fit for people who work offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.