Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After iOS9 upgrade: Why is my clock running fast?

After upgrading my 5s to iOS9, the clock has started gaining time, about 1-2 seconds per day. I've tried the trick of turning automatic time-setting on and off, no change. According to http://time.is, I'm now nearly 30 seconds ahead of the US standard.

Others have seen this too, right after the release: http://www.volleythat.com/essays/2015/9/22/did-apple-just-set-millions-of-iphone -clocks-to-the-wrong-time

Can others try this and confirm something is wrong with the NTP mechanism in iOS9?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 7:29 AM

6 replies

Sep 29, 2015 6:48 AM in response to lkoziarz

Hi lkoziarz,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your iPhone after the recent upgrade to iOS 9. It sounds like you have been on the right track in your troubleshooting. If you continue to see irregularities in the time reporting on your iPhone, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful. You may also want to test it in the various configurations and see if the issue persists; for example, does it still lose time/run slowly even with the time set manually (unclear if this is what you were saying you did)?

iOS: Troubleshooting issues with date and time - Apple Support

Regards

Sep 29, 2015 10:04 AM in response to lkoziarz

I'm seeing this on my iPhone 5s and brand new iPhone 6s Plus, both running iOS 9.0.1.

I've seen a number of reports about this and an informal poll of people shows that a number are affected. Doing a restore (followed by restore from backup) will correct the time for awhile, but it will start to drift again.

Basically it looks like it's a bug in IOS 9. The iPhone doesn't use NTP which is probably why it is wrong, while my iPad Air 2 always has the correct time.

As for manually setting the time to the second. You can do that, you just have to change the time exactly when it's at 0.

After iOS9 upgrade: Why is my clock running fast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.