Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

am I being remotely monitored

Hi all!

I have an iMac using os x 10.10.5. I thought I may have clicked on a fraudulent link so I have been watching my activity

monitor. Whenever I log on in the morning or evening, I see a process, "imremoteurlconnectionagent" and if i look to see what path it is using, I see "deploy.static.akamitechnologies.comhttp". When I google this it appears to be some kind of virus/popup adware but I am not experiencing that. So what is this? Am I being monitored?User uploaded file

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 8:09 AM

19 replies

Jan 27, 2017 8:50 AM in response to Atomic King

Atomic King wrote:

I also have a feeling that I am being remotely monitored through some professional spyware someone installed on my computer. Can someone please help me with this. I looked at activity monitor however don't know which process might be spying on me?

Please post an EtreCheckreport of your system. We can then look for obvious issues. Please click the link, download the app and run the report. Once you have the report, please copy and paste it as your reply to this post.

If you would like more info on what EtreCheck is, simply click the link and you will find a description of the app.

Jan 27, 2017 10:50 AM in response to Atomic King

Atomic King,

There is no evidence of your computer being spyed on, however someone has installed AVG antivirus software on your computer. This should be uninstalled per the developers instructions from the system immediately. Mac OS does not require any third party "maintenance" apps such as Antivirus, Cleaning or ANYTHING else. If kept up-to-date and otherwise left alone Mac OS is extremely secure and will run reliably for most users for years.

Once you have uninstalled the AVG app restart in Safe Mode to clear some caches and restart normally.

Sep 28, 2015 10:02 AM in response to fredjason

Akamai is a giant network streaming company. Apple has many contracts with Akamai to handle their streaming services, App Store downloads, etc. When you watch an Apple televised conference like World Wide Developer Conference it is Akamai that is transporting that video over its network to you. No malware or virus going on here.

Sep 28, 2015 10:41 AM in response to erichdc

Go to Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor/Network, and a large pane will display all of your network activity. Eventually, akamai will appear in the pane. You can temporarily disable akamai, too. You may have to wait quite some time for any activity to appear, if you see any at all.

I agree with the people on this thread to say that akamai is a trusted network partner for Apple, but if you're leery, you can monitor this or other connections with a paid application, Little Snitch - or you can remove akamai from your network entirely. It might be possible to use the software on a trial basis, for free, but you'd best contact the developer for that information.

Sep 28, 2015 2:03 PM in response to fredjason

Thanks all!

My concern isn't Akamai so much as I have read about it but if you google deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com it comes up as a malicious link. That is what I am seeing my remote log in go to or be initiated from. I don't detect any issues but I question what is occuring. From the web:

deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com(link is external) has been reported as a nasty browser hijacker virus, which can act on web browsers including IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, and so on. It is created by cyber criminals to generate help to generate web traffic and gain pay-per-click revenue. This infection can infiltrate your system silently when you read junk email attachments, download free programs, video games, and online movies from unsafe networking resources and so forth.

am I being remotely monitored

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.