Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook late2009 have black screen without cursor when install win7

Hi,

I have a macbook late 2009. I had upgraded it to Yosimate, and by using Bootcamp, I installed win 7. it works very well.

then, I updated win7 to win10. it also works well.

3 weeks ago, it can' t boot win10, but not always, if i swithed on/off for 20 times, it happened boot win10, and in win10, it works well.

at this time, Yosimate works well.

So I tried to re-install win7. Under Yosimate, I used disk uitiltiy and bootcamp to size the harddisk, and install win 7.

After harddisk re-sized by bootcamp, and OS re-book with CD of win7, I only get a black screen, even without blink cursor !

it stop there.

I tried to totally re-install Yosimate, re-format the harddisk using OS disk utility, then use boot camp, same result.

then I re-install OS x 10.6.7, then try to install win 7, same situation.

I tried to re-set SMC and EFI, no change.

I tried with Win7 32 and 64, no change.

in all these case, OS X works no problem at all.

It just can't boot win7.

I highly suspect this situation link with macbook hardware and EFI.

May somebody help?

Thanks.

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), bootcamp 5.1.4

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 8:47 AM

20 replies

Sep 28, 2015 9:12 AM in response to lmch

lmch wrote:

So I tried to re-install win7. Under Yosimate, I used disk uitiltiy and bootcamp to size the harddisk, and install win 7.

After harddisk re-sized by bootcamp, and OS re-book with CD of win7, I only get a black screen, even without blink cursor !

it stop there.

Disk Utility should not be used to manipulate any Bootcamp partitions. This is the first issue.

I updated win7 to win10. it also works well.

Your 2009 MBP does not support Windows 10 - Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support has the list of Macs which support Windows 10. Do not use Microsoft's determination whether your machine can run W10 or not?

I tried to totally re-install Yosimate, re-format the harddisk using OS disk utility, then use boot camp, same result.

then I re-install OS x 10.6.7, then try to install win 7, same situation.

Did you use a USB or did you use your DVD and Optical drive? Were there any errors?

Sep 29, 2015 6:12 AM in response to Loner T

since I decided to re-install win 7, so I tried to remove the windows partition. is this step stops win 7 boot?

Officially 2009 MBP does not support windows 10. But i upgraded my win 7 using windows 7 update function. Windows 10 works. :-)

I tried both USB and the my DVD driver inside the 2009 MBP. same result.

for your information, since Bootcamp 5 on 2009 MBP does not support USB install win7. So I have to modified bootcamp a little bit. it works till re-boot to win 7.

Sep 30, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for your reply.

I tried run bootcamp again under Yosimate. Use DVD and built-in Optical drive.

Same as before.

After re boot (after bootcamp re-size the harddisk) the computer had gray screen (this is normal), then for 1 second, it seems switch to another condition (but it is still black), then it switch to black screen (not same black as the last one). But no any message on screen, even without cruiser.

the screen is lighted even it is black, since the apple mark on back screen is on.

I switch off the MBP by power button. then switch on while press 'option' key. I can see boot options of Mac, windows, windows EFI.

I switch to windows icon, tried again. same as before. while I can enter OS x, which I used now to post this reply :-(

Sep 30, 2015 9:39 AM in response to lmch

I reset SMC.

retried win7 installation, this time it CAN boot from DVD, but stopped at the first step, loading windows files (the bar arrived at middle).

I tried power off, re-start again. this time, no boot from DVD, same situation as before.
I tried re-set SMC. but can't boot from DVD anymore.

I re-set NVRAM, then speaker volume re-store. this mean re-set work. I went through entire bootcamp process.

But no help on boot from win7 CD. black screen as before.

macbook late2009 have black screen without cursor when install win7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.