Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri can't hear me when headphone (without mic) is plugged in on my iPhone 6s plus

I have just got a iPhone 6s plus 128gb/gold running iOS 9.0.1 for a few days.

I was listening to music with my headphone (without mic) last night and about to call someone, so I pressed down the home button and asked siri to call someone for me, then I noticed the line remained flat (which indicated that siri couldn't hear me). But after I remove the headphone, everything just works fine.

I tested with a few different earphones (all without mic) and the same situation occurred.

I tried the voice recorder and wanted to see if the mic was working with headphone plugged in,
it turned out the mic works perfectly with my voice clearly recorded.

Not sure if this is a device-related or software-related problem.

Has anyone encountered the same problem?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.0.1, null

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 10:46 AM

6 replies

Jan 12, 2017 10:59 AM in response to brischloss

Same here.

When I bicycle to work I use Apples earbuds and tuck away the phone in an inner pocket. If bad weather this is really needed.

Up until ios8 I could always start music by pressing the mic control button. Then suddenly this worked only randomly. In ios9 it only worked like 10 seconds after plugging in the cable. Now in ios10 same faulty behavior so I thought I could order Siri to start the music, but no no no! It only works if I talk to the phone mic but not the headset mic.

What's the point of voice control if I need to hold the phone in front of me???

Please fix this Apple ASAP!

I curse the developers who caused this epic failure two times a day, riding to work and home from work :-(

Sep 30, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Georsh

Update 1: I went to an Apple Store this morning and saw if the same happened on the demo iPhones, and the answer was yes, the same situation occurred, thus I'm mostly certain that this bug can be found on all iPhone 6s (Plus).

Update 2: I've just updated my phone to iOS 9.0.2, and the problem was not fixed.

Jan 7, 2016 8:29 AM in response to Georsh

Bump...I have an iPhone 6S Plus 64GB. When driving in the car with aux cord inserted, neither Siri nor Diction for texting/tasks will work. This is extremely annoying and only happens 60% of the time. Software is on 9.2 now, no fix as of yet. I mainly use Siri in this setting and it is frustrating that it only happens some of the time. Restarts do not help, I simply get in the car the next day and the function usually has returned. When the bug presents itself, Siri will activate but not hear me. Diction will simply not register that I am speaking. Apple? Please fix this.

Feb 10, 2016 11:43 AM in response to mitchellrepp

Yeah I'll bump too. Just got a new iPhone 6s and Siri usually can't hear me when plugged into non-mic headphones. The colorful waveform bounces a little when I speak but less so than usual. Sometimes it hears my command as a single word like "Look" or "More" but usually transcribes nothing. Siri very quickly responds that she "didn't catch that." Dictation also fails with headphones plugged in. Never had this issue on my iPhone 6.

Number one time I use Siri is in the car while plugged into aux so this is really frustrating.

Can anybody tell if this is a hardware or software issue? I'd love to just exchange if it'll fix the issue.

Mar 14, 2016 10:10 AM in response to dallen1400

I'm looking for something related but slightly different. I want my headphones microphone to hear me when I say "Hey siri" this is extremely useful when doing something requiring both hands and not wanting to get your phone out. It used to work previously using a "hey siri" jailbreak tweak, but now that apple is officially doing hey siri, it is dead. Any help?

Jul 25, 2016 12:34 PM in response to Georsh

I have the same problem... but my headset does have the mic... I can use Siri just fine if I press the home button on my phone, but if I press the call button on the earbuds (Apple earbuds, btw), Siri comes up, but simply cannot hear me. The home button calls Siri up, and I can be heard just fine even with earbuds in. It just seems the microphone on the earbuds is not getting the words to Siri. Mic works just fine in every other situation, dictation, talking to friends, Skype, FaceTime, etc. Just not Siri, and this is when I use Siri most... while exercising. The phone is generally tucked away safely in my pocket, so I need the earbud controls to pull up Siri to make calls or change the music, etc. Frustrating. And the fact that I've been reading similar issues for people dating back to mid 2015, yet still see no official response or solution from Apple just really irks me.

Siri can't hear me when headphone (without mic) is plugged in on my iPhone 6s plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.