Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Outlook 2016 & Indexing.

Hello,

I have recently had lots of problems with Outlook on mac.

I had upgraded MS Office from 2011 to the new version - Exchange wouldn't work and had to revert back.

after reverting back the indexing was not working properly, if i try to search an email from someone the recent email would not show up or the email i need wouldn't turn up.

Tried reindexing - it worked 50% (tried re indexing by commands from terminal)

After all this hassle,

I installed Outlook 2016, I imported all the data from Outlook 2011 to 2016 by creating a new profile and importing data.

I got all the emails apart from a weeks email (Why? no idea as the import was successfull), indexing still does not work well after import.

I am not much of an Apple Geek so i need advice or Help if anyone could guide me to solve this problem once and for all.

Also, i would like to go how to add tools on Work and excel 2016. I used to do this in 2011.

Thanks in Advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 10:43 AM

2 replies

Nov 1, 2016 8:22 AM in response to dhruvkesh

Greetings:

Currently running on Sierra (10.12.1), with MicroSoft Office 2016 (15.27)

I'm no longer able to use the SEARCH features on Outlook to find anything.

This seemed to coincide with the update to Sierra (10.12.1), however, I can't totally confirm that. I use Outlook for my corporate email and was traveling the last week, and didn't connect to the corporate network during that time. When I returned to work and allowed my laptop to connect to the corporate network and update all my work email, I typically start sorting my email and place it into folders for archiving purposes. My normal method to accomplish this is to use the SERACH features to collect what I feel is relative email messages and then select the group and place them into the desired email folder.

I read through the elicit news groups and postings on related topics and tried what seemed like reasonable attempts to correct the situation { forced "spotlight" to reindex the entire disk by basically excluding all files and then request all files to be rescanned, checked permissions, checked file system, restarted Outlook, restarted the MAC}.

I read a response on the MicroSoft support site a while back that someone at Microsoft, only guessing, indicated we needed to update the MicroSoft Outlook to 15.25. Well, I'm running 15.27, so, I figured that something went sides ways, since the posting individual indicated they would send out an update when the problem was resolved. Seeing no update and having two additional patch updates released, I'm still in the same state, of not being able to use SEARCH inside of Outlook 2016 on MAC.

I'm hoping and looking for information that might correct this problem. It's important to me, and my co-workers and I don't see any better method of stating my requirements to the right people.

Nov 1, 2016 8:48 AM in response to LongLiveMac

As a form of completeness,

I "forced" another re-indexing from Spotlight and now, slowly, I'm seeing results from my queries inside Outlook SEARCH.

So, for folks that might be helped by this exchange, it would appear these are the most important factors:

- Running Sierra 10.12.1

- Running MicroSoft Outlook Version 2016 - 15.27

- Reboot your MAC, to make sure all updates are active

- Force a SPOTLIGHT re-index by Going to Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy

Drag your Macintosh HD (This basically tells Spotlight to wipe-out all indexes - Nothing bad, just indexes no files)

Confirm you really want to do this? YES you really do.. again, nothing will be dropped except the indexes

Then, Remove Macintosh HD entry, the one you just created in the prior step

Then click out of the Privacy screen

Now wait.. a rather long time... Yes, even with a MacPro Laptop with a SSD, you can wait for at least 45 minutes, of course your time will vary depending on the number and size of your files. I have a 1 TB SSD, it's 50% full, and roughly 1.5 million files.

I hope you see good results... as I did.

Problem with Outlook 2016 & Indexing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.