Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring macbook to factory settings

I am wanting to restore my mackbook OS X V. 10.6.8 to factory settings. Years ago I was dumb enough to enable filevault. I have enough disk space to turn it off, but it won't when I try. Can I still restore my macbook to factory settings? I do still have the startup disks that came with the computer

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 2:30 PM

Try booting off the DVD, then go to Disk Utility/File/Turn off encryption.

5 replies

Dec 6, 2015 12:14 AM in response to dautrey

I thought it wouldn't be an issue to do that, but I wasn't totally sure if the HD was a factor or not. I didn't want to go into it not knowing if it would screw everything up to where i could use the computer anymore. And everything, as far as, the files and software he has on this computer with the exception of a few files I don't need. My only problem now is to find the disks that came with the computer..

restoring macbook to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.