Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Updates

Hello Apple Community - I am in desperate need of help!

I just got my new iPhone 6S, and I am having difficulty syncing it with my Mac Book. I was able to back up my previous iPhone's data on my computer successfully, but when I connected my iPhone 6S, I got an error that said I couldn't sync the phone because I needed a new(er) version of iTunes. I checked for updates in iTunes, and it said I was using the most current version - no updates were available. So now, totally confused, I go to the iTunes web page to download the newest version, in hopes it would overwrite the old one (thinking that maybe the updates aren't showing or malfunctioning). When I downloaded iTunes, I got an error that said something to the effect of "need OS X 10.8 or higher." Then, I went to download the Yosemite update which is 10.8, and when I tried to install it, I got another error saying I needed the 10.0 operating system, which I believe I already have, since I am currently using version 10.6.8.

I am really confused at this point and really need some help. I simply want to update iTunes so that I can sync my brand new phone and its impossible to do this right now. I am not familiar with how Macs work, I am more familiar with PCs and I am worried about how to fix this issue - I was leary of uninstalling iTunes to reinstall it (thinking it would work correctly), I am just wondering what I should do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Tina

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 8:30 AM

Try going to the App Store and download Yosemite.

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) model number 7,1 or higher
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) model number 2,1 or higher
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • Xserve (Early 2009) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 8:30 AM in response to teenertots1

Try going to the App Store and download Yosemite.

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) model number 7,1 or higher
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) model number 2,1 or higher
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
  • Xserve (Early 2009) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

Oct 1, 2015 8:30 AM in response to teenertots1

Eric Root has provided the basic on upgrading your computer. RAM "memory" may be the big issue. Get more information about your computer. Go to the Apple in the upper left corner of any window, then "About This Mac". Write down what it says about "version"and report that here. Now continue to "More Info..." Copy and paste the information here, but omit the serial number and Hardware UUID (if present).

Understand the difference between an update and an upgrade. If you truly tried to install an "update" it will only work on a version of the same major operating system version (e.g., update 10.6.3 --> 10.6.8).

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference? - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1444

OS X: Updating OS X and Mac App Store apps - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1338

Reference releases; update vs. upgrade

Sep 29, 2015 5:35 PM in response to cdummer43

cdummer43 wrote:

What if my version of Macbook is too old or does not meet the requirements? Don't feel like spending thousands on a new platform just for my phone to operate correctly.

Then do not use your iPhone with your Mac. Sync it with iCloud, and/or us other apps to backup or sync various data, such a Flickr account to backup your images, or a Dropbox.com or Box.com account etc...

Sep 29, 2015 7:03 PM in response to BobHarris

I Tried doing it through the cloud and there is not even the option to sync my music with my computer. I find it awfully silly that since I completed this recent update at now my iTunes and phone do not work properly like they use to. I appreciate the advi of jumping through all the hoops but I believe that I paid all the money for this stuff in the past and it should till function properly as it always did when I plugged my phone into my computer. Thanks again but I will be contacting Apple tomorrow to let them know how I feel.

Sep 29, 2015 7:28 PM in response to cdummer43

cdummer43 wrote:

I Tried doing it through the cloud and there is not even the option to sync my music with my computer. I find it awfully silly that since I completed this recent update at now my iTunes and phone do not work properly like they use to. I appreciate the advi of jumping through all the hoops but I believe that I paid all the money for this stuff in the past and it should till function properly as it always did when I plugged my phone into my computer. Thanks again but I will be contacting Apple tomorrow to let them know how I feel.

We are just users, just like you.

Mac OS X Feedback

<http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html>

iPhone Feedback

<https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html>

iTunes Feedback

<https://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html>

iCloud Feedback

<https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html>

Sep 30, 2015 3:35 PM in response to cdummer43

I am sure the owners of Betamax, 8-track, and floppy disks all feel the same way. Read the link below and you will see Apple's official take on your equipment:

Vintage and obsolete products - https://support.apple.com/HT201624

Rule of thumb. If you own any item older than 4 years, read the system requirements. If you want to keep your equipment for another 10 years I suggest you go out and buy spare printers, drives, RAM, now because in 10 years nobody will have parts, and certainly not Apple.

Yes, you paid money for the things. You bought some of them in the past, and some recently. That does not guarantee all will work together. I just tried to put a SD flash memory card into my OM-1n camera I bought in 1979 and you know what? There is no card slot! It only takes those rolls of celluloid. 😠

You can install Yosemite. The software is free. You might have to pay $30 for extra RAM, or you could just run it with less and put up with everything being slow and do it for free. Or you can upgrade to the intermediate, relatively inexpensive Mountain Lion which would cost about the same money as a RAM upgrade and would probably run better. It is like buying a car. If you want to be driving it 5 years later you have to pay for a few oil changes.

Mac Book Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.