Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 and airprint with dns-sd

With the recent release of iOS 9, airprint has stopped working completely in our campus. Prior to iOS 9 we were using DNS-SD via static DNS records, with different subdomains for each network so we could control who prints to what printer. IE:

192.168.200.x wireless subnet

query PTR lb._dns-sd._udp.0.200.168.192.in-addr.arpa ---> example.local

192.168.300.x wireless students subnet

query PTR lb._dns-sd._udp.0.300.168.192.in-addr.arpa ---> studentnet.example.local

This way we are able to control which printers get published to which people. Under iOS 8.4 and older, the iPad would then query the DNS server for the IPP records and discover the printer. After that it was happy printing!

_universal._sub._ipp._tcp.example.local: type PTR, class IN --> officeprinter1._ipp._tcp.example.local

OR

_universal._sub._ipp._tcp.studentnet.example.local: type PTR, class IN --> officeprinter1._ipp._tcp.example.local

As of iOS 9, the behavior is now the below, instead

Standard query 0x84bb SOA local ---> response "no such name"

What is the purpose of changing the DNS lookup behavior? It worked fine in IOS 8.4, and while the new airprint features are excellent, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to changing the DNS lookup behavior.

iPad, iOS 9.0.1, airprint in a campus

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 1:21 PM

8 replies

Nov 24, 2015 12:28 PM in response to akornetov-chasemail-org

We also observed this problem. We were able to deduce that, for whatever reason, iOS 9.x introduced functionality to restrict/disallow DNS-SD in situations where a Gateway was not properly configured in the network environment. We were able to work around this by adding a Scope Option 003 (Router) entry to our DHCP server. Below is the brief write-up for the fix that went into our solution. I hope this helps.

Problem: DNS-SD not working for iOS 9.x clients.

Other observations:

• DNS-SD still worked fine for iOS 8.x clients
  • The “Router” setting in the Network Information screen on iOS 9.x showed the same IP address as the DHCP server, even though no explicit “Router” setting was in place on the DHCP server.

Apparent Problem: DHCP server did not have a DHCP option for “Router”, because there was no Default Gateway setup.

Solution:

1. Add an entry for “Router” to the DHCP server (Scope Option 003). Note that this entry needs to points to a valid gateway.
  2. Restart the DHCP server.

Feb 24, 2016 12:12 PM in response to mesloane

Hi all,

I't my first post....

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm facing the same issue with dns-sd on Microsoft DNS with iOS 9.2.1.

The DNS is configured as described here:

http://sybaspot.com/configuring-dns-to-share-bonjour-printers-across-subnets-and -vlans-including-airprint-for-ios/

additional modification:

_services._dns-sd._udp.DOMAIN IN PTR _ipp._tcp._DOMAIN. -> had to configure this to discover IPP on iOS

_universal._sub._ipp._tcp.DOMAIN IN PTR PRINTERNAME._ipp._tcp.DOMAIN.

_cups._sub._ipp._tcp.DOMAIN IN PTR PRINTERNAME._ipp._tcp.DOMAIN.

PRINTERNAME._ipp._tcp IN SRV 0 0 631 PRINTERNAME

PRINTERNAME._ipp._tcp IN TXT ( "txtvers=1" "qtotl=1" "rp=printers/QUEUENAME"

"adminurl=http://PRINTERNAME:631/printers/QUEUENAME"

On the MacOSx device, I'm able to connect and print through AirPrint/IPP.

On the iOS (iPad, iPhone) I'm able to discover the bonjour IPP service (bonjour discovery app) but not able to print (no AirPrint available).

What I'm missing here?

Do 9.2.1 has some changes on DNS-SD?

Other solutions?

Kind regards,

nalig

iOS 9 and airprint with dns-sd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.