Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a ME177LL/A be upgraded to a larger hard drive?

I realize this will likely void that Apple warranty, but can an Apple Time Capsule ME177LL/A be upgraded to a larger hard drive? I tried Googling this subject but I couldn't find anything.

Also, does anyone know which hard drive Apple is using for this model?

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 3:17 PM

10 replies

Sep 28, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Kelly Crossley

Yes, you can!!

There is however a lot of stuff you can do.. but SHOULD NOT.

The TC uses a standard seagate 3.5" drive.. but you can replace it with just about any standard desktop drive.. I recommend green .. WD green as a good choice.

See https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

WARNING>> WARNING >> DANGER>>

The new TC uses surface mount connector and ribbon cables.. These are to put it mildly delicate. Tip over the TC .. drop out the hard disk and you are very likely to tear the cable.. tear the socket right off the board.. or damage something else.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I took these from the reference.. do you know what keeps that socket on that board.. 40 or so tiny solder connections.. knock it on a corner and there are only two or three connections that are holding the socket.. break one and it is dead.. there is no mechanical connection.. screws or pins through the board.. it is held by hope.. knock it.. and say bye bye TC. These things are designed to be sealed.. look at the old model and it is tough cables.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/BUvwqHQfK16pn6tj.huge

User uploaded file

What experience do you have?? Let me suggest this is not for amateurs..

The older TC used wires and plugs and sockets.. They were solid.. nobody I ever heard managed to tear the socket off the board. They do on the Gen5 TC. So.. is this a good idea.. or should you just plug a USB drive into the TC and accept its slower speed.. or buy a cheap single disk NAS.. eg WD My Cloud and use that..

Sep 28, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Kelly Crossley

Edit....I see that LaPastenague beat me by a few minutes....even though he is "down under".

Unless you need a ton of storage, Apple offers a 3 TB version of the same Time Capsule.

It's a real task to get into the newer version Time Capsules without destroying them. This is probably by design.

I've tried this and would not recommend this to anyone who is not willing to lose a Time Capsule as a learning experience.

Maybe LaPastenague has some tips, but the bottom line is that the Time Capsule will practically self-destruct unless you are being extremely careful.

Sep 28, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Maybe LaPastenague has some tips

IMHO don't do it.. simple eh!!

Buy a Gen4 TC.. plug it into the Gen5 by ethernet and run it in bridge.. you can put a 5 or 6TB drive into the Gen4.. it is just as fast.. and from this perspective a lot more rugged.

But I would buy a WD My Cloud. Or a Synology or anything..

I am running a Synology now and its speed beats the TC flat. Plus it is much easier on mixed network.. works absolutely fine for TM.

I can add disk after disk after disk to expand it. As I need more space..

Don't get more space by using slow USB .. if you want network storage space buy the right tool.

Sep 28, 2015 4:10 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague wrote:

I am running a Synology now and its speed beats the TC flat. Plus it is much easier on mixed network.. works absolutely fine for TM.

I can add disk after disk after disk to expand it. As I need more space..

It's funny you mention this. I have a Synology 1512+ with (5) 2TB Deskstar drives. Since the drives are approaching 5 years old I'm getting ready to replace them with (3-4) 4TB Deskstar drives. Currently, I'm using it for website development and video streaming. I didn't know you could use it with Time Machine. This may be a much better solution. May I ask how you have yours setup?

Sep 28, 2015 5:50 PM in response to Kelly Crossley

It is very simple.. so into the Synology management interface thingo.

Setup for TM as a folder.

Actually let me just reference it for you.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/tutorials/608

Is this what you wanted.. ??

My Synology is a hack one.. (Xpenology -- actually but same thing only faster and cheaper).

Plugged by gigabit into the network.. and the computers can access it anywhere via the network.. so it is pretty simple.. I have had it running for almost a year with no issues..

I happen to be running a restore to a computer for another thread to show how to do it.. the result is very good.

User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2015 8:49 PM in response to LaPastenague

That's awesome! Thanks for posting all of this helpful information, including the photos and screen shots.

What do you think the difference in speed is between a TM backup and restore on an Apple Time Capsule versus a Synology NAS?

If I decide to move my TM operations from the Time Capsule to the Synology NAS, what should I do with the 2TB of hard drive space on my Time Capsule? Can it be used for anything else?

Sep 28, 2015 10:33 PM in response to Kelly Crossley

What do you think the difference in speed is between a TM backup and restore on an Apple Time Capsule versus a Synology NAS?

Difficult to give exact numbers.. your synology is a high end one. You should be getting full gigabit speed on read and very close to it on write.

That would make it about twice the speed of TC.. but I cannot confirm it easily.. If you restore to a spinning drive.. it will be much slower than to an SSD..

My restore was to a slow 2.5" via USB and actually I was pretty pleased to get 25-30MB/s but the TC should manage that.

That works out at 80GB/hr .. generally with the TC we manage 60GB/hr.

But that is pretty much the TC limit so to SSD you would do a lot better from Synology.

If I decide to move my TM operations from the Time Capsule to the Synology NAS, what should I do with the 2TB of hard drive space on my Time Capsule? Can it be used for anything else?

Sure.. I use it for my Carbon Copy Cloner backup.. at the moment..

TM is IMHO less than 100% satisfactory.. having a totally separate backup even if you only do it on odd occasions makes a load of sense.

Oct 6, 2015 9:05 AM in response to LaPastenague

Okay, well I effectively destroyed my MD032LL/A last night trying to upgrade the hard drive. The fatal mistake I made was trying to detach the fan connector, which resulted in a cracked motherboard–which totally *****. Anyway, I now find myself in a very different situation. Because my business relies on the Internet, I don't have time to wait to procure another Time Capsule via eBay.

At this point I'm considering upgrading to a 5th generation TC 3TB, but before I do, what are the main differences between a 4th and 5th gen TC, aside from aesthetics? I think the wireless range was improved, but what about the backup speed via Ethernet? Is Apple using faster hard drives in the 5th gen TC?

Oct 6, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Kelly Crossley

I am not sure how you cracked the board.. the ifixit instructions warn about the fan socket.. and if you pulled it off the board it is not a serious problem.. the TC can work fine without a fan. Apple seldom turn it on .. you can improve the cooling other ways.

Anyway.. if you need internet buy a standard router today.. even an AIrport Extreme.. but I don't think the Gen5 TC is good value for money.. You can plug a USB drive into the Gen6 AE and use it for backups.. slowly.. which is fine for wireless clients.. you should not be using network backups for your desktop computers.. unless it is to the synology. A local USB drive is faster, cheaper and much more reliable than TM to a network drive.

but what about the backup speed via Ethernet? Is Apple using faster hard drives in the 5th gen TC?

No different. they are near enough to the same as splitting hairs.

Faster drives make no difference.. this is processor bound.

Oct 6, 2015 4:18 PM in response to LaPastenague

I am not sure how you cracked the board.. the ifixit instructions warn about the fan socket.. and if you pulled it off the board it is not a serious problem.. the TC can work fine without a fan. Apple seldom turn it on .. you can improve the cooling other ways.

Because I broke one of my cardinal rules. Never work on something delicate when you're tired. I tried to remove it because I wanted to get the old adhesive off of the top plate and detaching it from the base would have made that job easier. BTW, the power supply is from Delta, so maybe that'll be worth something. I'll probably just part everything out and sell it on eBay.

Anyway.. if you need internet buy a standard router today.. even an AIrport Extreme.. but I don't think the Gen5 TC is good value for money.. You can plug a USB drive into the Gen6 AE and use it for backups.. slowly.. which is fine for wireless clients.. you should not be using network backups for your desktop computers.. unless it is to the synology. A local USB drive is faster, cheaper and much more reliable than TM to a network drive.

I ended up getting a Gen5 TC with 3TB drive. I was going to get an AE, but Best Buy has them on sale for $289, which is only $100 more than a AE so I figured what the heck. Besides, the Time Capsule has saved my butt a bunch of times, and although it's slower it is effective.

Thanks for all your help with this. I truly appreciate all of your time and advice–and Bob's too. 🙂

Can a ME177LL/A be upgraded to a larger hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.