Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired Keyboard and Bluetooth Magic Mouse disconnecting simultaneously and requiring reboot

Both my wired keyboard and bluetooth mouse are disconnecting simultaneously. It seems that it is occurring at random as it happens at different amounts of uptime, doing different tasks. When they disconnect I'm having to reboot in order for the devices to start working again. I've reinstalled the operating system and it has made no difference.

Running

Mac Mini 5,1

2.3GHz i5 model

OS X 10.10.5

Thanks everyone for your time.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 4:35 PM

11 replies

Sep 29, 2015 11:39 AM in response to NibbleVic

UPDATE

I have found that disabling WiFi has caused the issue to occur less frequently. I have a bluetooth keyboard as well now. It seems to lose connection at the same time as the mouse, but I hit the spacebar and the keyboard reconnects. The mouse remains unresponsive and the bluetooth icon tends to cycle between the dots, zigzag line and the standard bluetooth logo when I press space (only when I'm having disconnect issues, not during general use)

Sep 30, 2015 1:25 PM in response to NibbleVic

UPDATE 3

I have found that opening a TeamViewer remote desktop connection and moving the cursor remotely from my other desktop, It can cause the connected splash screen to appear and the devices regain connection. Below I have entered a summary of everything tried so far for future reference of people with similar issues.

Error analysis

• Keyboard and mouse will become unresponsive. The light on the mouse will not illuminate when mouse is picked up. Wired peripherals will also become unresponsive.
  • USB devices such as flash drives will unmount.
  • The system still runs correctly (Videos will continue to run, audio will still be heard through headphones, clock will continue to update, messages & notifications etc.)
  • The only way so far I have found that corrects the issue is to reboot the Mac; for the issue to repeat some short time after. The time it takes for this to occur is seemingly random. It occurs under various system loads and when performing different tasks.
  • By going into TeamViewer and connecting remotely to the Mac; I can control the cursor without issue. When waving the cursor for a few seconds via the remote desktop it displays the connected splash screen for both keyboard and mouse. Input devices plugged into the mac also start working as well after moving the cursor via this method.
  • I tested a device with an LED indicator on it inside of a USB port. It illuminated so the ports must still be powered when the fault occurs.

Fixes attempted

• Error persists in Yosemite and El Capitan (Issue first appeared on Yosemite)
  • I have tried using a clean installation of Yosemite to no avail.
  • I have reset the SMC, still no luck.
  • This issue began just before I moved house. It has occurred to random severity ever since

Sep 30, 2015 7:42 PM in response to NibbleVic

UPDATE 4

Well after an evening of testing I hate to say all attempts are still unsuccessful. I'm going to take it to the Apple store at the next possible time. It seems likely that the issue is hardware related (Just hoping it's not a logic board issue) and will need repairs. My hopes are on it needing a new network card and that being the end of this endeavour!

P.S.

I shall inform on what the actual solution was once it has been found for future reference.

Wired Keyboard and Bluetooth Magic Mouse disconnecting simultaneously and requiring reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.